Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

My hair is thinning from age, using Tamoxifen, and heredity. I am 65.  I would love to try Hairmax but I am concerned about its safey.  Apparently one must use it FOREVER in order to reap benefits.  Can this kind of use be a problem in years to come such as brain tumors or any other type of ailment to affect the brain?

I'm 71 and this past year or so, my formerly  thick hair has been thinning at (to me, anyway) an alarming rate.

So, I've thought about this device like you have.  But you raise good questions.  I am now more concerned about health things than I am about vanity things, and I don't want to use things like the NUface, or those light stim devices anywhere around my eyes, since I've developed a retina problem, and I realize how precious my eyes are.  Of course I always knew that, but having a real issue all of a sudden brings the whole thing into a new perspective.

I really don 't care if it's approved by some government agency.  Those agencies have been wrong in the past.

Yes, I hate my thinning hair, but I think I will pass on this device.

If you don't care if it's approved by a government agency then who would or could you trust instead?? Are the alternatives any better?

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

My hair is thinning from age, using Tamoxifen, and heredity. I am 65.  I would love to try Hairmax but I am concerned about its safey.  Apparently one must use it FOREVER in order to reap benefits.  Can this kind of use be a problem in years to come such as brain tumors or any other type of ailment to affect the brain?

I'm 71 and this past year or so, my formerly  thick hair has been thinning at (to me, anyway) an alarming rate.

So, I've thought about this device like you have.  But you raise good questions.  I am now more concerned about health things than I am about vanity things, and I don't want to use things like the NUface, or those light stim devices anywhere around my eyes, since I've developed a retina problem, and I realize how precious my eyes are.  Of course I always knew that, but having a real issue all of a sudden brings the whole thing into a new perspective.

I really don 't care if it's approved by some government agency.  Those agencies have been wrong in the past.

Yes, I hate my thinning hair, but I think I will pass on this device.

If you don't care if it's approved by a government agency then who would or could you trust instead?? Are the alternatives any better?

No one, I guess.  Although all the positive things you are saying about it's success makes me want to rethink the whole thing. 

We all know that hair loss is so traumatic, heartbreaking really, and I'm upset just because my hair is THINNER, I don't have bald spots or anything close to it.  So, I understand wanting a solution desparately.  I might change my mind on this.  I don't know.

But, no, I don't trust goverment agencies (and I'm a retiree from one).  I haven't read all the information about this, I will if I ever decide to try one, who knows?  I just am leery of a lot of things.  Drugs have been approved that later have been shown to be harmful to us.  This kind of thing can happen.

I'm very happy to hear that it has worked for you, that's a wonderful thing.

Respected Contributor

Used it faithfully for over 9 months—— nada. But I have always struggled with hair loss due to medical conditions. I’m 67.

Good Luck

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  I read that you have the Capillus as well as another LLLT tool.  I did some research (there is excellent information) that indicates that if you have genetic alopecia the Capillus will work, if not it won't.  I'm thinking that a doctor's visit to determine what is causing the hair loss would be helpful before making a major investment that might/not work.  I'm just wondering how accurate the assessment would be and if you did that before making a major financial purchase.  Also, maybe buying the Hairmax (which is a lot less money) and trying out a less expensive LLLT might give an indication if the hairloss is due to the alopecia and then stepping up to the Capillus.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@SilleeMee  I read that you have the Capillus as well as another LLLT tool.  I did some research (there is excellent information) that indicates that if you have genetic alopecia the Capillus will work, if not it won't.  I'm thinking that a doctor's visit to determine what is causing the hair loss would be helpful before making a major investment that might/not work.  I'm just wondering how accurate the assessment would be and if you did that before making a major financial purchase.  Also, maybe buying the Hairmax (which is a lot less money) and trying out a less expensive LLLT might give an indication if the hairloss is due to the alopecia and then stepping up to the Capillus.

@phoenixbrd,

Years ago I lost all of my hair, went completely bald for almost 2 years. I was about 30yo at the time. Several doctors could not make a diagnosis and the only explanation was that is was some sort of hair loss due to stress or exposure to something...not true. One doctor did say it might be alopecia but there was no test or scientific evaluation done at that time to give me a definitive answer. My hair did eventually grow back on it's own but it was drastically thinner and much more sparse than before that hair loss episode. 

Fast forward almost 30 years and my hair loss was still evident and I was slowing going bald once again. So that's when I started looking into using the HM comb to see if that would work and it did. I'll be completely honest and say that the regrowth is nothing like I had when I was 20yo and that the hair I have now would not even be here if it weren't for the lasers...I absolutely believe that. 

I am 63yo now. In 2002 I was diagnosed with scleroderma, an autoimmune disease which might have had it's beginnings with me long before my official diagnosis and that may have showed up as hair loss back some 30 years ago. Difficult to prove now, but I have long suspected that it might be the reason for my hair loss.

On the technical side of using hair lasers...the reason why they cause hair to grow new ones out from the scalp is because the laser light is causing the dormant hair follicles to re-awaken by the laser light increasing blood flow to the follicles themselves. When the follicles get oxygen and nutrients provided by the blood flow then hair starts growing once again. Here's the bad news...if you wait too long then those dormant follicles will eventually completely die and will never be able to be revived. So it's important to start using the laser as soon as you can in order to prevent follicle death.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thanks for the detailed response.  You answered my suspected question...doctors probably are unable to give a definative answer regarding reason for hair loss.  Yes, it makes sense that the sooner you use the LLLT, the better the results.  I appreciate your response and glad that you have been able to experience positive results.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@SilleeMee  Thanks for the detailed response.  You answered my suspected question...doctors probably are unable to give a definative answer regarding reason for hair loss.  Yes, it makes sense that the sooner you use the LLLT, the better the results.  I appreciate your response and glad that you have been able to experience positive results.

You're welcomeWoman Happy @phoenixbrd. I just wanted to say something about the Capillus cap. For me, having scleroderma has severely affected the dexterity of my hands, causing increasing difficulty to hold onto and maneuver most objects, like the HM comb. So having a hands-free device like the Capillus is what initially attracted me to it. The cost is jaw-dropping I know but only once in a lifetime...TG!

Esteemed Contributor

Another gimmick.

Regular Contributor

Re: Hair max safety

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Danielle46 wrote:

Yes, of course you have to use it "3 times a week for 3 minutes",

@Danielle46  For the rest of your life?

News Flash: If you don't want your teeth to rot and fall out of your mouth, then brush them daily. For the rest of your life. Treat the HairMax the same way. Heck, put it on your head while you're brushing your teeth and you'll kill two birds with one stone. Easy-peasy.

It sounds like the HairMax is only used three times per week, but I strongly suggest you continue to brush your teeth daily. That's at least seven times per week (more, if you brush after every meal). 

Regular Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

Another gimmick.

News Flash: The horseless carriage was a "gimmick" to people at first too. As for the HairMax, it's not a gimmick to those who are using it successfully.