Valued Contributor

I have been interested in buying a portable  generator  for when electric goes out .Was  wondering if anyone could tell me  they were happy with their purchase of a portable generator this make or another ..This one comes with a solar panel was wondering in winter is there enough sun to charge  the panel ,know the sun would be out in summer if we get a blackout.

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of things to consider - I have a whole house natural gas generator.....so I'm somewhat familiar with them..........it would require lots of sunlight to keep it powered....winters in the NE has very few hours of daylight...........

Does it have a backup source - like it will run on gasoline also?

If so, you would have to keep a container of gasoline in garage at all times

Is it powerful enough to run refrigerator - etc.

Have to run electrical x-tension cords to appliances.

Talk to a generator company in your area - not HSN

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Lots of things to consider - I have a whole house natural gas generator.....so I'm somewhat familiar with them..........it would require lots of sunlight to keep it powered....winters in the NE has very few hours of daylight...........

Does it have a backup source - like it will run on gasoline also?

If so, you would have to keep a container of gasoline in garage at all times

Is it powerful enough to run refrigerator - etc.

Have to run electrical x-tension cords to appliances.

Talk to a generator company in your area - not HSN

I would check with my local power company too.  See if there are rebates or they have advice.

A portable generator would probably be loud, and you might have to secure it at night to keep it from being stolen--something to think about as well.