Valued Contributor

Does anyone trust this computer for 350.00 ? I have to say I know nothing about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@DJP wrote:

Does anyone trust this computer for 350.00 ? I have to say I know nothing about it.

@DJP 

This laptop has some older parts likr Bluetooth 4.1 when current devices have 5.0. It has 4GB of memory when 8GB is standard.

Please take the model number and do a Google search.

You can then decide to buy or pass.

JMO. The technology in this laptop is too old.

For somerhing different, I would buy a Chromebook.

Here are two YouTubers I like

Chrome Unboxed

My Next Tablet 

Super Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@DJP wrote:

@DJP 

This laptop has some older parts likr Bluetooth 4.1 when current devices have 5.0. It has 4GB of memory when 8GB is standard.

Unbox Chrome

My Next Tablet 

Thanks for your thoughts on this, was wondering about it as well - I purchased the previous HP 15" laptop TSV from only 5 or 6 weeks ago and from what I see, except how this one has the anti virus Windows S mode, the one I bought has much more up to date technology and is much faster. The one I bought is an 11th generation i5 processor, this one I haven't seen QVC state one way or another what generation it is or how current ugh.

Honored Contributor

I think it would depend on your needs.    I don't collect movies, stream, save music or photos, or do any actual "work".........so a "cheapo" is good enough for email, and shopping..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I think it would depend on your needs.    I don't collect movies, stream, save music or photos, or do any actual "work".........so a "cheapo" is good enough for email, and shopping..........

@Desertdi   Yes, I will give them that -- they mentioned in the presentation at midnight that it's a good model for the types of things you mentioned.  They also mentioned if you want a laptop for gaming, architectural designs, and other things of that type, this laptop is not for you.  

I hope every presentation mentions those distinctions, and shoppers are really listening.  A good laptop for basic things, but anything above "basic," you probably want to pass.  

Honored Contributor

I would rather buy a Chromebook instead. CBs have built-in security so you don't need to purchase or even use (you can't use) antivirus software. CBs don't use Microsoft software so you don't get frustrated with updates. CBs use Google Chrome operating system, which is a (proprietary) kernel of the Linux OS.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi

LOL, It is not the price, it is just the lack of technology. I spec any products I want to buy at Notebookcheck.net. This site has some comprehensive reviews and benchmark lists for processors and graphic cards.

You can then decide whether this laptop will work. 

Esteemed Contributor

@DooneyGal2 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@DJP wrote:

@DJP 

Unbox Chrome

My Next Tablet 

Thanks for your thoughts on this, was wondering about it as well - I purchased the previous HP 15" laptop TSV from only 5 or 6 weeks ago and from what I see, except how this one has the anti virus Windows S mode, the one I bought has much more up to date technology and is much faster. The one I bought is an 11th generation i5 processor,this one I haven't seen QVC state one way or another what generation it is or how current ugh.

@DooneyGal2 

Notebookcheck.net has benchmark list of processors. You should be able to find information on this site. 

Respected Contributor

You are better off with Chromebook than a cheap laptop if you have a small budget.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would rather buy a Chromebook instead. CBs have built-in security so you don't need to purchase or even use (you can't use) antivirus software. CBs don't use Microsoft software so you don't get frustrated with updates. CBs use Google Chrome operating system, which is a (proprietary) kernel of the Linux OS.

Does Google get access to the information on the Chromebook as part of using it?  I wonder what one would have to consent to to use that device.