Valued Contributor

HP LAPTOP SPECIAL FROM JULY 5

I am FUMING over QVC DECEITFUL way of selling this past Sunday July 5th SPECIAL the  HP Laptop.Not one of the host or the vendor for HP said it is being shipped from China did hear they are being made right now,and I watched many presentations and order just before the color sold out, so it was later in the day.

Took for granted like I think many of the 10 thousand customers that brought the laptop  that they were  HP factories in the USA.

Guess there was a reason why they offered free shipping and with Qcard 6 easy payments.

I ordered  for my daughter the 17" did not tell her and we live in different states and while talking to her on the phone she said I just got notified of a Fed Ex delivery coming next week but from  some town in China and signature required,  I'M not accepting it she said , I said I wouldn't  either. After hanging up thought of the laptop and went on my account saw it wasn't shipped, in process ,today gut feeling let me check again and sure enough saw  shipped today 7/9   tracked order and it is from CHONGQING  guess that is CHINA .

Had to call my daughter and let her know about what I ordered her as she has been doing work from home  during this virus, she  mentioned that her laptop is old and slow it was going to be an early Christmas in July gift.

But now don't know if she feels safe in having something in her home from a place that we really haven't heard the truth with this virus and if people from China can't enter the USA our  companies are still letting their business goes on with China $$$$$$$ but not letting us know.

Super Contributor

Re: HP LAPTOP SPECIAL FROM JULY 5

that is totally awful!--to get an e mail saying that it is being shipped from someplace in China-no way I also say!--I wouldn't want 2 touch it--I hope u can refuse it and get ur $$ back asap------------------marynj

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mimi NY    You can't be serious?  What a narrow-minded viewpoint.  You're going to be shocked to learn that all computers are made in China.  Various components are made in other countries like Intel in the US, but all the final assembly is done in China.

FYI the source of the virus has been thoroughly investigated and no proof has been found that it originated in China.  Scientists say they had been studying it in bats in Indonesia for several years before the first cases were reported.  Unfortunately this China rumor has irresponsibly been repeated.

QVC was not deceitful as most people know most electronics are made in China including your cell phone and television.  Since this is common knowledge, why should a host announce it was being shipped from China?  Do they announce where clothing items are made?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Not sure you'd have any luck finding a computer NOT made in China.  I'm not saying they don't exist, just that most computers seem to be made in China.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So much of the US supply chain is mfg. overseas. Think about all the PPE that is made there, the drugs, equipment, etc.came from China.

Honored Contributor

I bought my first computer in the mid-80's and I do believe every one that I've had since then came from China.

That's also true for all the cell phones I've ever owned as well as every tablet, and I assume every TV.

That's why I see no deceit on QVC's part.  Pretty mu ch common knowledger, I'd think.

And if any of OP's dismay comes from thinking the computer could be infected -  please, that shows another lack of knowledge everyone should have by now.

Honored Contributor

if you find a computer with parts made here and built here let us know

Honored Contributor

@Mimi NY "Deceitful"?  That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen on these forums in awhile.

Get over yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mimi NY  I ordered the 17 inch in Rose Gold to replace an older 17 inch HP, with the understanding that it is coming from China.  As others have noted, you are going to have a difficult time finding a computer that is not made there. If so, it too, will indeed come from "overseas".

The country of origin is listed under specs on the item page, along with other detailed information that is very helpful-processor, RAM, audio etc. It will either list imported, or China as country of origin. I know it can sometimes be confusing, so I hope this information helps with your future computer purchasing decision.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@Mimi NY  How wonderful of you to purchase this new laptop for your daughter. As others have shared, I, too, don't have any electronic equipment that didn't come from China. 

Your gift should be well received, without fear.  If I were in another country, right now, I'd be more afraid of getting a package from the US. That's if I truly believed a package could transmit the virus, which is VERY unlikely.  

I have ordered items from China and wouldn't hesitate to do so again, if it was something I needed, even in the height of the pandemic. You just handle such packages the same way you would any other (local) items you bring into your home now. No big deal. Again, a really sweet gift.