Occasional Contributor

Gundry MD Today's Special

[ Edited ]

Any thoughts on the Gundry MD Today's Special? I was going to buy it but am unsure. I actually think that Andrew Lessman's Fruit Full Antioxidants is better and definitely less expensive per serving. Gundry's products seem to be outrageously overpriced and he uses his MD status to cash in. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Gundry MD Today's Special

I know i am in the minority here , but i had quite the allergic reaction to this , i turned beet red and my heart rate up , even took pictures , my knees were even red. That being said i did use more than one scoop , i didn't want to take chance again so i sent back. I am used to natural supplements and drinks so i don't know why i reacted so badly. I don't think this is a bad product.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Honored Contributor

He seems to be quite full of himself.  He has some ideas that go against conventional dietary wisdom.  Not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing.  I belive the only way to progress with science is to question it.  Here is just one of his recommendations:

"There are also some foods that Dr Gundry recommends avoiding completely. All refined starches, sugars and sweeteners are off the menu, as well as some fruits and vegetables, soy, dairy, legumes and seeds, oils and grains, such as the following:

• Nightshades: tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes and peppers
  • Beans and legumes: Including soy and peanuts
  • Conventional eggs and milk
  • Conventionally-raised meats
  • Out-of-season fruits
  • Grains: especially quinoa and brown rice"

From Body+Soul website.

I was wondering about the Aronia cherries he was touting. The picture shown looked a lot like blackberries, but those were pictured too, so I did a browser search.  They're actually wild chokeberries and look nothing like a blackberry, so that picture is misleading.  They grow wild around here and are bad to get tent worms that come down and consume everything.  That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with chokeberries.  I see Amazon sells Aronia berries although I didn't look to see what they are generally sold for.  

The beverage just didn't look that appetizing to me.  I already have stuff I mix in my yogurt so I don't need anything else.  

New Contributor

There is NO way I would buy this product now after I just heard Dr. Gundry's outlandish claim about organic salad greens in bags and clamshells that have lasted in his fridge for almost a month past their best by date!  ANYONE who buys salad greens like this KNOWS that you're going good IF you can get them eaten BY the date before they start looking gross!  THIS comment alone stopped me from buying his product!

Trusted Contributor

I'm not interested in this TSV.  I have seen him many times on public tv over the years.  He sounded sensible and I agreed with a lot he said.  (He didn't have any of these supplements that are in the TSV.)  Then I got a couple of his books from the library.  They were okay too until he recommends food items none of my local grocery stores carry, and they don't sound that appealing anyway.  And his recipes sound complicated.  I don't follow him anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take a powdered veg/fruit with this in it:

Berry - Greens Blend – Amazing Grass

It's 65 cents per serving...do the math.

Honored Contributor

@clsilva wrote:

Any thoughts on the Gundry MD Today's Special? I was going to buy it but am unsure. I actually think that Andrew Lessman's Fruit Full Antioxidants is better and definitely less expensive per serving. Gundry's products seem to be outrageously overpriced and he uses his MD status to cash in. 

@clsilva    I think you answered your own question.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

Occasional Contributor

I found Gundry to be too self promoting.  I wouldn't purchase anything from him.