Trusted Contributor

Re: Greenhead Lobster TSV 12/1

Growing up in New England, I grew up with all manner of seafood.  steamed, fried, boiled you name it.  Love it all.  That being said, I would NEVER pay that price period.  Add to the horror stories of the food shipping from the Q stops me right there.  I understand people having a hard time with it.  I have a hard time eating deer meat.  I have a friend whose husband hunts.  She makes deer jerky and chilli  GAAG, but they love it.  And when they had very little money it  was food on their table and saved them from going hungry.  When I was growing up, seafood was no where near that expensive so, we had plenty of it.  Every summer it was 2 weeks on the Maine seacoast for vacation as a kid.  And yes we had steamed clams, lobster, corn on the cob, potatoes/french fries, fried scallops, shrimp and clam chowder growing up.  There's plenty of foods from other sections of the country I wouldn't eat if you paid me, so it's a case of what you grew up with.  And I can strip a lobster down in no time.  Crabs on the other hand, I give those to my husband.  I have no patience for those lol.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Trusted Contributor

Lobster is a luxury item now. (I love it) but when my grandfather was a young boy he went to work to help support his fatherless family. There were 6 siblings and his mother would have him go down to the docks and buy a bucket of "trash fish" for a quarter.

Yes, lobsters were often in the bucket. It wasn't until the hoi polloi decided to eat it (1920's I think) that lobster became a delicacy.

BTW one of his jobs was lighting the gaslights on the city streets.

I like boiled or steamed lobster with just lemon, too.

Trusted Contributor

This price is bat guano crazy.  I about gag when I hear hosts say to get an order for yourself and another order for someone else.  How many of us could afford to do so?

I thinkQVC is losing touch with reality.

Trusted Contributor

I turned on QVC for a few minutes during the Gourmet Holiday show. The item I saw was chef Alex G's lamb meatballs - $86 for 3 pounds! SERIOUSLY??? That's almost $29 a pound. What a TOTAL RIP-OFF!!!

Valued Contributor

@eadu4  I don't understand your point. So you ate lobster eons ago from Maine and, even though it's being shipped directly from Maine, you're mad that it's available to inlanders? Or angry at the cost has gone up expedentially? So you want the fisherman to take the loss? I'm really confused. 

Trusted Contributor

@HonestLife Whoa that's a lot of anger to unpack thrown at me but I'll give it try to address your concerns and hope to make it a little easier for you to understand.  Not sure why you were so triggered.  I am not mad it's available to "in-landers". Quite happy it is.  Since I haven't lived in NE in many years I am glad it is available and have purchased it in the past (not from the Q or this distributor).   Not even sure WHERE you got that angry point from.  I never mentioned anything about "in-landers".    My point was that although I grew up with it and love it very very much and having seen prices far cheaper years ago no matter how much I love it I wouldn't pay that price for it.   Glad you think I'm "eons" old.  Kind of a rude remark, but from your tone you seem to be reaching to want to hurt or injure my feelings somehow by making a "personal" swipe at what you believe my age to be.     

Also there are many horror stories of food bought from the Q and even though some food purchases are distributed from the supplier many have been delivered thawed, ruined and spoiled.  That alone (aside from even discussing the price) would make me hesitate to purchase.  I am not ANGRY that the price went up, prices are rising everywhere, but that is a lot of money for what you get and still hoping it comes in good condition.  And god knows where you seem to think that I "expect the fishermen to take a loss???" out of my reply.  That one comes across as you just really don't like ME for some weird reason and you're reaching for complete nonsense to criticize me with.   Not sure why want to jump all over me but  that being said, anything else you want to address and bash me on?  Have a nice day!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I get them, same weight at Wegmans for a fraction of the cost, shame on you, Q !!!

Are Wegmans' lobsters from Maine?  The Greenhead product rep said Maine lobsters are nothing like those sold elsewhere.

Valued Contributor

@eadu4  I'm sorry if my reply came across rude. I really was confused. I was thinking of purchasing the Lobsters and looking for guidance. That's all. Again, I meant no harm. 

Honored Contributor

I like when David encourages us to splurge on ourselves because "you deserve it."  Hmm, how does he know?  I guess that sales pitch works though.