Regular Contributor

Don't own one.  Do I need one?  66 years old.  Is this a good deal?  Read where someone is on 5th Fitbit since Feb. because they quit working.  Not in the mood to spend money on a gimmick but if this is a good deal, I might give it a try.

Esteemed Contributor

Love my Fitbit (moved up to the Charge 2).  It is very interactive fun and  make me very conscious of moving.  You get 30 days.  Fitbit warranties  their products for a year.  No returns they send replacements.  Any longer and the new technology is out anyway.  Q gives you 30 days.  I say go for it.

Honored Contributor

I know what I should be doing - I don't need a gadget to tell me. I am going to be retiring soon, so I figure every morning I will join my husband and dog for a 4-6 mile walk in the park and work out on my pilates machine. 

I don't need to complicate my life anymore - I am going the simple route.

Respected Contributor

No, you don't need one.  For some people it's an incentive for others a pain.  I would never want one I have to charge.  Enough already with the phones, MP3 players, tablets, etc.   I wanted to know how many steps I was getting while in aqua fitness classes so I went with a Garmin.  Very inexpensive model.  Fitbit doesn't work in water.  I already know I rarely sit since I've retired. 

Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know the difference between the Alta and a Fitbit charge 2 I have wanted one for awhile so confusing on what to buy? Any knowledgeable people,would be great.

im leaning towards,a,charge 2

the small one is sold out so won't be getting this one but still would love to know what is the differencesThanks maryJo

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fitbit Alta

[ Edited ]

I have the fitbit charge hr- with the same 'purepulse' continuous heart rate. It got a really bad rap last year (several class action suits)  for the heart rate being off - and  inconsistent. This newer alta has the same 'purepulse' for the heart rate,  I'm wondering if they tweaked the technology to make it more accurate.

I've been googling all day and can't seem to find an answer! I might get it and give it a try. '30 days to love it' after all! Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I moved up from my One to the Alta HR (TSV). I've had the zip for a few years and I never liked the bulky Fitbits, but I liked the HR feature. This Alta version does everything I want it to do and it's a slimmer Fitbit. I like the "get up and move" reminder. It also has a 7 day charge. My One is clipped to my bra' this will be the first one I've worn on the wrist. 

OP, I think one of the main differences between the Alta hr and charge 2 is the charge 2 can measure stairs climbed and the'Charge has a trainer feature. 

Contributor
MJ - fitbit's website has a compare feature - https://www.fitbit.com/compare where you can select up to 3 models to compare, or take a quiz to find the right one. I love my Alta but want to upgrade for the HR feature, so thinking about the TSV or the charge 2.  At a glance, charge 2 tracks stairs and Alta doesn't, but Alta does the Sleep stages while charge 2 does what the original Alta does for sleep - # times and minutes restless/awake, to get to a net hours asleep during your sleep time.  Overall my Alta has been very reliable and a good motivator, which is why I am thinking about adding the HR and deep sleep features. Good luck deciding!  
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the Fitbit Alta HR. I have a heart issue which requires monitoring of the rate. I had used an oxymeter to do periodic checks but thought the graphic representation of each 24 hours would be more useful. I have used the Alta HR since it was introduced earlier this year with the HR and sleep features. I can tell you that the heart rate agrees with the rate of the oxymeter when taken at the same time. The cardiologist is pleased with my using it to monitor the rate.

The sleep stage charts are interesting. The Alta HR decides you are asleep when you have not moved in any way for an hour. It measures amount of light sleep, deep sleep, REM sleep and makes recommendations. It also lets you know how many times you are actually awake during the night. The heart rate also enters into the determination of sleep stages.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Fitbit Charge HR and generally like it. The bad news: I've had to replace it twice within a year (so I'm on my third one in 10 months). The good news: Fitbit customer service is very good & just replaced them for free. Would I buy one again? Absolutely not. I know too many people whose fitbits didn't last longer than mine. It's a good idea, but until they can figure out how to make them last, they're not worth the money, IMO, even if they do replace them. It's a hassle and does not inspire any confidence in their product. It's really a shame.