Honored Contributor

I love Gizmos and Gadgets and really thought about the Fitbit Alta, but really would rather get the Blaze when I decide to buy one.... or an Apple Watch.  We'll see.... I stopped myself from getting the TSV because I kept thinking that I'm doing pretty well with just my iPhone tracker and how much pressure do I truly want to put on myself.... LOL!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Re: Fitbit Alta

[ Edited ]

I got my husband the Charge 2, and he really likes it.  He always tracked his steps when taking the dog out and the Charge 2 allows him to change the setting when he is on the Elliptical to track those steps as well.

My sister had an issue with her heart for the very first time recently, while exercising.  Didn't feel a rapid beat, just was not feeling well suddenly and her Apple Watch showed a very high heart beat that did not come down.  She monitored it with her watch and called her doctor,  who was glad she came in.    Since she wan't home when this happened, she attributes her HR monitor on her watch for making her aware that it could be a heart issue (since she felt nothing unusual).    Whether the monitor is right on the money (even the monitors they sell for home use aren't so accurate) or not,  it can alert you if something is not the norm for you.

I'm thinking of getting a Charge 2.  The Alta HR looks too thin, and you can't adjust for various activities, like a treadmill or elliptical time period.  Let us know what you decide.

Respected Contributor

I was tempted to get one when they came out because Alta is my moms name. She passed in 1997 from breast cancer. I do have the garmin vivofit 2 and for awhile I didn't do much with it but lately I love it. I walk my butt off and it motivates me tremendously. I like that I've had it for over a year and have never had to change the battery. No charging just change the watch type battery which seems to last forever. My husband has a Fitbit and loves it. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Fitbit Alta

[ Edited ]

I am 63 and love the new Alta HR TSV.

I had FitBit Ones before - the kind you latch on to your bra or pants. I think they are stopping manufacturing  those.

This new version has me EASILY walking 10,000 steps a day. I programming it to remind me to get up every hour.

I have a half desk/half outside job and sometimes could sit for 2-3 hours straight. Now I get up and walk around the building every hour - it takes about 5 minutes. I don't have an hourly job and luckily can get up whenever I please!

Try it - I bet you'll be moving more in no time at all!

Valued Contributor

Do you need one? No.

Will it motivate you to be more active? Maybe.

Personally, for me its a big motivator to see the steps go up and earn the trophies. If you own a smart phone you can download their app and get a lot of good data. For my husband it made him go from a very sedentery lifestyle to walking over 15k steps a day or more per day for almost a year or more. He's really motivated by competitons he does with other friends who own a fitbit (you can do challenges against yourself or friends) and he likes earning the trophies. So if you think itll motivate you then yes. If you don't have a smartphone or computer you check often or you don't think itll motivate you then there is no point.

Valued Contributor

For ther record, we've both owned fitbit flex, alta and just recently upgraded to the blaze. None of them have ever quit working on us. We've just upgraded as new things came out. The bands sometimes give out eventually but you can purchase new bands pretty cheaply on amazon or anywhere.

Valued Contributor

Oh and as a side mention - Fitbit really hooks into a lot of other companies. IE: I have it connected to my Weight watchers account so it updates my activity points automatically. We also own the scale so it updates my weight automatically as well. I realllllly love that feature. I belive it can also hook up tp myfitness pall and even the Walgreens app. They have tons of partners you can hook into - they are probably all listed under their website somewhere.