Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Rather than have that big thing sitting around, I'll continue using my faithful salad shooter.  I might have briefly considered it, if it came in turquoise but I thought the colors were awful.  Not even a white.

@Kachina624

I've got a food processor but it doesn't chop.  Chopping would be my main reason for ordering the tsv.  I, too, had wished they had offered turquoise!  Did find two salad shooter models on Amazon.  The SA reviews were excellent while this tsv model was 50-50.  Does the SA chop, too?

@eddyandme  No, the SS doesn't chop but it shred like carrots for carrot salad.  It's very compact and doesn't take much space, which is at a premium in my house.  I noticed some time ago Amazon still has them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Rather than have that big thing sitting around, I'll continue using my faithful salad shooter.  I might have briefly considered it, if it came in turquoise but I thought the colors were awful.  Not even a white.

@Kachina624

I've got a food processor but it doesn't chop.  Chopping would be my main reason for ordering the tsv.  I, too, had wished they had offered turquoise!  Did find two salad shooter models on Amazon.  The SA reviews were excellent while this tsv model was 50-50.  Does the SA chop, too?

@eddyandme  No, the SS doesn't chop but it shred like carrots for carrot salad.  It's very compact and doesn't take much space, which is at a premium in my house.  I noticed some time ago Amazon still has them.

I have the Genius 10 piece, 6 cup mix, slice, and chop set I got In January, just used it today in fact, made some ham salad, just put everything in all at once, ham, mayo, some pickles, does a great job, came with a few attachments, a mandolin attachment I've used a few times, even got my thumb on the julienne blade, ouch! The first time I used I had chopped some onions, and garlic, for a slow cooker recipe, I had put the nasty lookin triple chopping blade in a bowl of soapy water, of course that was a stupid thing to do, one of the blades stuck in to my finger when I reached in to the water. No stitches or emergency room vist was needed, but it's hard to finish cooking when you need to tend to a kitchen wound.  I have used the mixing attachment once for a muffin batter. The suction cups on the base don't hold really well. I like it for the most part. There are some veggies hard to chop in it, such as carrots, potatoes. It does a great jop chopping lettuce, I chopped a whole head of cabbage in it for coleslaw, the longer you go the finer the chop. I don't see very many items from Genius for a while. IMG_20160914_214342982.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Bigbear52@Kachina624

Thanks!  I'm kinda looking for something to help me make "even" pieces when air-frying.   That's why I was gonna pick up the mandolin.  However, when seeing the mixed reviews decided to cancel. 

Thank you both for your responses:  perhaps with practice my "chopping skills" may improve!

Esteemed Contributor

@customerqvc2 wrote:

Some time back, I bought a regular mandoline from QVC during one of David's kitchen shows.  I don't think I've used it hardly at all.  What was I thinking?  

One of my colleagues had a a nasty cut from using her mandoline (on the very first try) and lost some mobility in her hand.  Then, I saw a post on another board that suggested when using a knife or mandoline, the poster said buying a "cutting glove" made out of almost indestructible material protects the hand. So, I got one of those and wear it when I use my mandoline.  No problems, no worries.  Frankly, I can't imagine I would need an electric mandoline or have counter space or cupboard space to justify getting one.

Thanks for the information on the "cutting glove."  I had a mandoline "accident" several years ago and bought an electric mandoline shortly after that.  It was pretty cumbersome, IMO, and I got rid of it a few years ago after using it once or twice.  This glove may be all I need.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Electric mandolin?

[ Edited ]

@Bigbear52 wrote:

@software wrote:

It was fun to watch -- something different for a change but at that time of night, I'm pretty easily amused.

I passed as well.  I am still using my very old Salad Shooter!   Works great, love it.   Anyone remember those?  Of course it only came in one color Smiley Happy

I kinda like this litlle guy they have over on HSN. It's small but looks powerful. Like the fact you can point it right in to any container. I love when he does all the cheese . Very affordable too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFB6ae2wGs

That looks very good!  Thanks for the link!  I have a salad shooter too, don't know the last time I used it.  I think this would be more convenient, sitting on it's own on the counter instead of being held.  I have a small chopper that has a whipping blade.  This could replace that too.  Definitely on my favorites list over there.

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@customerqvc2 wrote:

Some time back, I bought a regular mandoline from QVC during one of David's kitchen shows.  I don't think I've used it hardly at all.  What was I thinking?  

One of my colleagues had a a nasty cut from using her mandoline (on the very first try) and lost some mobility in her hand.  Then, I saw a post on another board that suggested when using a knife or mandoline, the poster said buying a "cutting glove" made out of almost indestructible material protects the hand. So, I got one of those and wear it when I use my mandoline.  No problems, no worries.  Frankly, I can't imagine I would need an electric mandoline or have counter space or cupboard space to justify getting one.

Thanks for the information on the "cutting glove."  I had a mandoline "accident" several years ago and bought an electric mandoline shortly after that.  It was pretty cumbersome, IMO, and I got rid of it a few years ago after using it once or twice.  This glove may be all I need.

You are very welcome.   I was hoping that the "cutting glove" tip would help someone from having a nasty accident.

Honored Contributor

During a brief moment of kitchen snobbery I picked up a regular mandolin. I rarely use it but when I have I showed up at Thanksgiving to a lot of 'what happened to your finger' questions!

They're really not that easy to use but I would prefer to get the one that you simply shut the lid and Viola! your fruits and vegetables are chopped, sliced, whatever then to buy what looked rather flimsy to me and I noticed Meredith kept having to rearrange things that she put in the chute. It just doesn't seem worth fifty bucks

Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  You're not kidding!  I bought the mandolin when they demonstrated how easy it was to cube eggs and make egg salad.  That was the first thing I made and the clean up was horrible.  I had to remove every piece of it to get the egg remnants cleaned.  Boxed it up the  next day and returned it.  I'll check William Sonoma for a mandolin.

Respected Contributor

I tried this mandolin for the first time yesterday.  It doesn't take up as much counter space as most counter appliances, I was surprised expecting it to be larger. 

Although I ordered it mainly for the cubing application, I shredded cheddar cheese and carrot and sliced English cucumber for a chef's salad, all in quick time with a quick rinse of the container and lid inbetween. I consider this a "light duty" appliance with my food processor doing the heavier, larger jobs.

Between the booklet and the online video, I figured out exactly what to do including the need to LOCK the lid (and which way to push it) before it will operate.  Trying to figure it out entirely on my own was a  frustrating waste of time. It is one of those gadgets that seems at first look to be complicated but once you understand each piece and how they work together, it becomes very easy so don't give up, relax and enjoy how easy and fast it will work for you.

Frequent Contributor

Like others have mentioned  --  Kachina624     and    Software,   I still continue to often use the reliable  "Salad Shooter."      It works great, is easy to clean and does not take up a lot of counter space.  

And,  also,   alas I did actually end up having to be taken to ER   in the past to receive care and stitches after a mishap with a manual-style  mandoline.  Never used it again.  Feel  a "kindred spirit"   with those who still use the old and reliable Salad Shooter.  Thank you for letting me share.