Respected Contributor

Re: Egg Harbor Faroe Island Salmon

So expensive!  I get perfectly good organic salmon at my grocery store for less money.

Frequent Contributor

Watching the presentation now and they are puny pieces of fish for what they are charging. Also the samples Leah is sticking a fork in look raw in the middle. It even looks like she is trying to cover it up. Yikes!!!
Valued Contributor

I noticed the exact same thing - they were raw in the center.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been buying vaccum sealed & individually wrapped 2  pound bags of organic wild caught Sockeye salmon from Whole Foods for $27.99.  They are very good but I add my own seasoning.

I was in Costco last week and found the same thing only they were 3 lb. bags for $17.99.  I haven't tried them and hope they are as good as those from Whole Foods.  ETA.... The ones from Costco are also wild caught...I would never buy farm raised salmon!

Super Contributor

Is the Egg Harbor salmon farm raised or wild caught? 

Respected Contributor

If my math is correct that comes out to $26.66 per pound.  And yes the Costco salmon is great!

Respected Contributor

Wow! That’s some expensive salmon. 😳Try your local food market for some organic salmon. It’s crazy today’s TSV price!
Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I've been buying vaccum sealed & individually wrapped 2  pound bags of organic wild caught Sockeye salmon from Whole Foods for $27.99.  They are very good but I add my own seasoning.

I was in Costco last week and found the same thing only they were 3 lb. bags for $17.99.  I haven't tried them and hope they are as good as those from Whole Foods.  ETA.... The ones from Costco are also wild caught...I would never buy farm raised salmon!

The salmon is very good from Costco. Sam's is also very good. I buy it all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

i've never bought or eaten salmon........

Occasional Contributor

You are right, this is farmed salmon and is ridiculously priced for a fish that's been grain fed. Farm raised salmon is always inferior to wild caught, period. It doesn't have the same nutritional profile as the wild salmon has and does not contain the same amount of omega 3es as the wild caught Salmon either, which gives the wild Salmon it's beautiful deep, rich orange/ reddish pink color compared to the farm raised salmon which is very pail compared to it. I don't care what the QVC host says about how wonderful and healthy this farmed salmon is supposed to be for you, it is not. Farm raised means the salmon has been grain fed, a diet which is not at all natural to them because young wild salmon live on plankton, insects and invertebrates. Adult salmons eat other fish, shrimp and squid but never grain! I guess the price is so high for this farm raised fish because they have to buy the grain to feed them, who knows.😊