Trusted Contributor

Re: Dyson cool tower fan and purifier?

@software wrote:

For air quality, I still use the old ionizers QVC sold many years ago.

I've purchased filters once, they are washable.

Well, suffice it to say I need to do some more research to find the exact right solution to my problem as throwing money away on the wrong item.  Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Trusted Contributor

I've lived in AZ for 30 YEARS, and please believe me when I say a swamp cooler will not help me.  Once our monsooms arrive, there is so much humidity outside  it essentially does nothing.  When I first moved here there were homes that used swamp coolers because A/C was just coming into general use in new homes, but once the summer heat descended, it was horribly uncomfortable.  Thanks, though, for the suggestion.

Respected Contributor

I have a Iqair air purifier and an austin air pet machine. I have never regretted spending much money on these 2 air purifiers. Granted I have 3 Shelties and 4 Parrots so things do get a little dusty around here. I would look into these types of air purifiers before I invested in this dyson fan. The Austin is less expensive then the IQAIR and they both work well. The Austin air filter replacment is only once every few years but it is expensive. 

Honored Contributor

@cbrite.  Its really called an evaporative cooler but sits on the roof and looks like an AC unit.  It has a pump that pumps water over some pads usually made of wood fiber, then a fan blows the cool air into the house through the same ductwork the heater uses. 

It's very simple, uses inexpensive parts and can be serviced by handy homeowners.  I have an AC company come out in the spring to start it up, replace the pads and turn on the water which is drained in the fall.  I don't climb up on roofs.  These visits are usually around $100.

My basic unit just has an off and on, no thermostat so i cant control the temperature.  If I get too cold, I turn it off for awhile.  It puts a lot of moisture into the air in the house. These units can only be used in arid climates.  During rainy periods, it doesnt work as effectively as it does went the humidity is 6%, but I'm never uncomfortable.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

I've lived in AZ for 30 YEARS, and please believe me when I say a swamp cooler will not help me.  Once our monsooms arrive, there is so much humidity outside  it essentially does nothing.  When I first moved here there were homes that used swamp coolers because A/C was just coming into general use in new homes, but once the summer heat descended, it was horribly uncomfortable.  Thanks, though, for the suggestion.

@pdlinda.  We get the same monsoon you do in Phoenix, and although the efficiency of my unit decreases, its still plenty cool so I'm never uncomfortable.  I love mine.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Thanks for explaining it......... Our weather here on the W. Coast is almost always 89% humidity or higher....in my area anyway.

I know they say ppl need humidity for moisture, well no... having so much almost 365 dpy, is horrible.....mold / food goes bad very fast / health issues / etc...... 

This is the first year in at least 9 years, we've had rain and foggy, breezy days and nights once again......60 degrees which I love but then, the high humidity hangs on. I'm only about 20 ft. above sea level. 

I had electricians install those very big window a/c's...(2) plus a split wall a/c. Need more than 120v. It cools and removes the humidity too...water flows out a tube outside for the split a/c... I've done this over the last few years as the heat + humidity is unbearable for me. 

Air cleaners are another issue... so much dust here. 

I hope our old weather days will return. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@cbrite.  I know youve had a lot of rain in the past year.  My sister lives in suburban Philly and has whined about it.

We've had humidity as low as 0%, but in the spring its usually 6-7% late in the afternoon.  Our rainy season is July-September and then it goes up a bit.  We had a wet winter and spring (so far).  Very unusual but we're out of severe drought status, which is good.  I know all about dust.  Im in the desert and its not unusual to have wind up to 60mph in the Spring.  When it starts, everyone makes a dive to close open windows.

We'll keep fingers crossed for a cooler than normal summer.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  I just love the rain.... It seems like forever that I've seen so much...it's glorious..!! I wish you a cooler summer too, and dust free lol.... (We're still nice and foggy and cool....) Makes one want to nap 😊

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

One more thing - if you decide to get a swamp cooler - find out if your HOA allows them on your roof.  Mine doesn't.  They have started making them that go on the ground but there aren't a lot of companies that have them.