Respected Contributor

Dyson cool tower fan and purifier?

Does anyone own this? Do you like it? Does it really seem to make a difference in the air quality? Dh has been looking at air purifiers but I'd like to hear reviews before spending g so much. Is it worth the price? Opinions ions ease! TIA!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Dyson cool tower fan and purifier?

I have a Dyson fan but its the model with the heater.  I think these fans, though pricey, are well worth the price.  I use mine in a small bedroom when there is no air circulation, all year around.  Its so quiet that it doesn't interfere with my TV.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

They keep saying it COOLS the air... a fan only 'moves' the air - if you have a/c going and the air is cool, it will move that air. If you have a warm/hot room, it will move WARM/HOT air. This is not an a/c nor can it cool. It's for an average sized room which is not very big. The replacement filters are about $100......and in reality, will need changing about 1-3 months. I think they are misleading on this product. 

(I have expensive air cleaners in 2 rooms and have for about 6+ years. They remove the same particles as many do.)  

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Trusted Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

They keep saying it COOLS the air... a fan only 'moves' the air - if you have a/c going and the air is cool, it will move that air. If you have a warm/hot room, it will move WARM/HOT air. This is not an a/c nor can it cool. It's for an average sized room which is not very big. The replacement filters are about $100......and in reality, will need changing about 1-3 months. I think they are misleading on this product. 

(I have expensive air cleaners in 2 rooms and have for about 6+ years. They remove the same particles as many do.)  

I'm comparison shopping the TSV and the consensus seems to be (customer reviews on other sites offering it for more $$) that the filter needs replacing between 9 months and once a year.

It would change my buying decision if I had to spend $100 every few months!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda Yes, it finally changed my mind, lol..... my air cleaners will show a green light if it thinks the air is good...if it picks up a scent of sorts, it will turn yellow and red, alerting me the air is a problem. One is in where I sleep. That is all I do in that room, sleep. Oddly, if I am in a room next door in my bath tub with a bubble bath, low and behold, my air cleaner will shoot up to red.......telling me it 'smells' something....(odd imo). I don't think bubble bath is harmful nor is water.

One day I opened my air cleaners/both rooms, after about 2-3 weeks....(no light had alerted me to check the filters). OH MY.....both black/full of stuff...and I also have a carbon filter as well. I began to wonder what type of 'air' it was releasing back into my rooms, especially where I sleep. I have no pets. My windows are closed where I sleep. 

So, I knew not to wait for that red alert light to appear, to change the filters. I can't afford to do that all the time. My air cleaners are positioned at opposite ends of where I live. Sort of made me mad that I spent so much on filters so I've not relied on them further. 

I read if I want the air really clean, it would take a unit of a lot of money ($1,000 up). No can do.

If this TSV works for ppl, great. Might make a check on their filters after a couple weeks tho....jmho+experience 🙃

eta / I got mine from Amazon and were about $280 ea. with at least 2,000 rave five star reviews. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Trusted Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

@pdlinda Yes, it finally changed my mind, lol..... my air cleaners will show a green light if it thinks the air is good...if it picks up a scent of sorts, it will turn yellow and red, alerting me the air is a problem. One is in where I sleep. That is all I do in that room, sleep. Oddly, if I am in a room next door in my bath tub with a bubble bath, low and behold, my air cleaner will shoot up to red.......telling me it 'smells' something....(odd imo). I don't think bubble bath is harmful nor is water.

One day I opened my air cleaners/both rooms, after about 2-3 weeks....(no light had alerted me to check the filters). OH MY.....both black/full of stuff...and I also have a carbon filter as well. I began to wonder what type of 'air' it was releasing back into my rooms, especially where I sleep. I have no pets. My windows are closed where I sleep. 

So, I knew not to wait for that red alert light to appear, to change the filters. I can't afford to do that all the time. My air cleaners are positioned at opposite ends of where I live. Sort of made me mad that I spent so much on filters so I've not relied on them further. 

I read if I want the air really clean, it would take a unit of a lot of money ($1,000 up). No can do.

If this TSV works for ppl, great. Might make a check on their filters after a couple weeks tho....jmho+experience 🙃

eta / I got mine from Amazon and were about $280 ea. with at least 2,000 rave five star reviews. 

Not sure it's permissible for you to name the Amazon item you purchased?

I live in Phoenix and the heat has now begun to bear down until October (a few nice days still to come, but we know where we're heading).  Everything closed.  Interior air my concern.  My nostrils, skin very dry (I think I need a humidifier, too).  I have enough cooling but would swap out one of the fans to another room (with the A/C) if I got a combo fan/air purifier.

I hesitate to get an expensive item like that online but with the heat, it may be my best option.  I am a big Amazon Prime shopper and have no hesitation purchasing from them.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

Not sure it's permissible for you to name the Amazon item you purchased?

I live in Phoenix and the heat has now begun to bear down until October (a few nice days still to come, but we know where we're heading).  Everything closed.  Interior air my concern.  My nostrils, skin very dry (I think I need a humidifier, too).  I have enough cooling but would swap out one of the fans to another room (with the A/C) if I got a combo fan/air purifier.

I hesitate to get an expensive item like that online but with the heat, it may be my best option.  I am a big Amazon Prime shopper and have no hesitation purchasing from them.

@pdlinda   What you need is a swamp cooler!  After years of living in Texas and paying humongous electric bills for refrigerated air, I relocated to the Albuquerque area and bought a home with this swamp cooler.  I love it!  I figure it raises my electric bill $20-30 per month plus a little extra water, I have plenty of humidity in the house and I'm always comfortable (often too cold).

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

What is a swamp cooler @Kachina624 ?

@pdlinda  I just went looking again on Amazon.....my unit seems to be gone and new ones r in it's place ie updated.... and less money....HOWEVER, everyone is still complaining about replacing costs of their filters too.....(Winix) I did see a Medical Grade one for $899.....wow really nice...too much money for me tho. Plus, again, higher costs filters....

I googled how often should a filter be changed....some good answers there. And I googled 'Where does dust come from'..😳

I also went to the 'filter' reviews here, and they don't seem too good.... six one way, half a dozen the other I guess. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

Maybe a face mask is in order....much cheaper 😛 Or hold our breath....

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

For air quality, I still use the old ionizers QVC sold many years ago.

I've purchased filters once, they are washable.