Trusted Contributor

Dyson Ball Animal 3 Upright Vacuum TS

[ Edited ]

I guess I missed it when it was on but it's still on HSN TS post sale for 1 1/2 more days. Does anyone have the "ball" style vacuum? If so, how is it? Is the easy to move around the house? Does it have good power? It's at a great price with all the attachments. Thanks for the advise in advance. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dyson Ball Animal 3 Upright Vacuum TS

Had several of the OLD ball type and wondered why the old style was returning....didsn't watch the sales pitch.

I've gone lighter  weight and Shark but........... Dyson is a good machine.

Is the price right?

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Had several of the OLD ball type and wondered why the old style was returning....didsn't watch the sales pitch.

I've gone lighter  weight and Shark but........... Dyson is a good machine.

Is the price right?

$299.00 with 5 attachments plus free shipping. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a good price for a Dyson.   It's a strong machine - better built than Shark.

I'd go for it if you like it.  I believe I paid over $300 when  first came out.

GO..............lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've had one for about 5 years and just replaced it with a Bissell upright. The Dyson cost over $400 when we got it and is very heavy. This was a problem for DH when his back was acting up. It also makes it hard to lift it, if necessary.

Our Dyson worked fine for most of that time, but wasn't picking up recently as well as it had when we got it. DS has very long hair that gets wrapped around the roller, so I have to cut it off the roller occasionally. This could be a problem if you have a long-haired dog. Recently I cleaned the filter and checked for blockages by following the directions in a video on the Dyson website. After I reassembled it, the Dyson doesn't move smoothly over the floor (neither carpet nor bare wood). It catches and you really have to shove it across the floor. Based on reviews by long-time users, this is a fairly common problem. 

I just assembled the Bissell yesterday and used it for the first time in 3 rooms and a hallway. I was surprised at the amount of dust that came up, especially since I had just vacuumed those areas last week with the Dyson. It was easy to assemble, has a nice long cord, 5 or 6 attachments and 5 height levels to accommodate various types of flooring/carpets. The tank empties in the same way that the Dyson empties. It's much lighter than the Dyson, due in part to the fact that much of it is a heavy duty plastic. If it continues to work as well as it did yesterday, I'll be a very happy camper. 

We got our Bissell from Amazon and it cost a little more than $100 (I was surprised). If I remember correctly, another poster said HSN was offering the Dyson for about $50 more than that. If you don't have long-haired pets (or sons) and wouldn't have a problem lifting it, I'd recommend the Dyson at that price. As I said before, our Dyson worked fine for almost 5 years, but we couldn't see buying another one for $500 when the Bissell was so much less expensive and was very highly rated. Hope this helps!

ETA: I just saw that the HSN price is $299 with 5 attachments. That's still a good price for a Dyson.

Trusted Contributor

I love our Dyson machines. We had many others over the years starting with Kirby and up thru the Miele and to the Dysons. We love the dysons, and I loved the ball unit which we still have, though due the weight of it and my rheumatoid I no longer use it. We have a multi-level home and I can't carry it between the 4 floors, I use my cordless dysons-I do still use it on our lowest level. As long as you clean it and the filters regularly it will give you years of good cleaning! 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Trusted Contributor

I didn't realize Dyson was so heavy. It's giving me a pause. Hmmmm? Thanks everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

@BdBettyB wrote:

I didn't realize Dyson was so heavy. It's giving me a pause. Hmmmm? Thanks everyone. 

I may have misled you, my hands and arms are very weak, so please don't judge the weight by my response. I have no issue using the machine but I do have an issue carrying it up and down the 3 sets of stairs in our house. It is a terrific vacuum and if I only need it on one floor of the house I have no problem using it. Love all the attachments and the fact that they are connected to a flexible hose so I can easily vacuum the louvered doors, window blinds, drapes, etc.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the ball animal, but.....it's 17 lbs, and I think it's been pulling out rug fibers...not cheap carpet. Why so much fiber the same color as the rug in the canister; which is most of what it picks up?

I read a few articles addressing the same complaint thinking that is the reason why Dyson stopped making these models, but here they are again.  

I haven't used it in over a year because of those reasons.  

I don't think we need anything that powerful.  Don't wear shoes around the house.  I also have a ball Hoover and it's almost as powerful, so I'm back to my favorite, an Oreck bagged, and using the Hoover occasionally.