Honored Contributor

Does this really work or is it a waste of money? 

Respected Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

Does this really work or is it a waste of money? 

I was wondering the same thing...I have watched the presentations for over a year and just wasn't excited about the product. I think it may work but does it really cover the distance (in miles)?

Contributor

I have had this for about three years.  I have both sizes.  They work very well!  We usually set it up before we will be eating outside, so the deck is free of bugs.. You need to keep it on at all times for it to work properly.

Honored Contributor

@Pecky 

I typed Dyna Trap into the Community search and several threads from the past couple of years had positive reviews. 

I would purchase the Dyna Trap if it didn’t have to be plugged in. 

We use citronella oil and glass burners I found on Target.

Honored Contributor

We have a lot of flies when the weather warms up.  Inevitably they sit on the doors of the house, and when a door gets opened, they come inside.  We usually don’t have many mosquitoes unless it’s a wet year, but do have many other bugs.

I bought two of the smaller units last year when they were a TSV.  I put one near my front door and one in the garage.  I didn’t have any flies in the house all season.  It caught all the June bugs and loads of moths.  I never saw any mosquitoes in the unit, but I didn’t have any around.  I think it repels some bugs rather than attracting them because I generally didn’t have as many bugs of any kind as I usually do all season.  

I put them away a bit earlier than the end of the bug season, and after a couple of days, the bugs started returning so it did work.  As stated, it must be kept on at all times to work.  And it takes about a day or so to see any bugs inside the unit.  Also, my units needed emptying every day. 

Honored Contributor

I have 1 acre lot.  Last year I had a large one and a small one out.

I don't go outside much so I assume they work.  Ha!  My daughter must be super sweet because she ends up looking like one bump!  Ha!

Yet, that girl won't set out the one I bought her.  She swears it draws them near (whatever...that's how they work).

My point for this post.  I was going to order new bates.  I did order new bulbs (just to have).

But everyone, and I mean everyone mentioned the smell from the bates.  I never noticed it because I don't even go out on my screened porch (I'm either hot or cold).

Has anyone else noticed the smell?  I decided not to order new bates because of that.  What do you guys notice?  David hasn't said anything about the smell...but then why would he....he's selling them?

Honored Contributor

I would not want to kill bees,and good bugs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

The fact they have to be plugged in is a big turnoff for me. Based on where our outdoor electrical outlet are our house, we would have to unplug them when we mow the lawn.  Plus the fact we have grandchildren running around the yard and I don't like electric cords running all over the place. 

Super Contributor

According Tom the presentation I saw, these do not attract bees. Also, try to remember these are only going to work in the average sized yard. I highly doubt these will wipe out the bug population in an entire neighborhood if every home does not use them. I could be wrong, but it is probably a good assumption.

Esteemed Contributor

We have one in our barn.  It works pretty well.