Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Thanks. I haven't had the TV on to see any promos.

But I think we are talking at cross purposes here. I think @Buck-i-Nana was saying QVC is rerunning a prior TSV, not rerunning a promo for a TSV.

ok @Buck-i-Nana, I  believe you.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see the value in this when you have to pay 15 bucks for shiipping.  This is way overpriced.  Shouldn't be a tsv at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Duraflame TSV

[ Edited ]

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

I don't see the value in this when you have to pay 15 bucks for shiipping.  This is way overpriced.  Shouldn't be a tsv at all.

I agree, many stores sell Duraflame units. Mine has a few less bells and whistes (like the timer) but it's the same BTU's. And it was $60 at Ollie's!

Honored Contributor

First, I'm really tired of the 'rerun' TSVs from QVC. I can see if they bring in a TSV, it is so popular that it sells out by 9 am, and lots of folks express interest in it coming back.But Q is running the exact same TSV (or the same thing with more colors or a new unnoticeable feature) over and over, often within just a couple of months. I was really disappointed to see this same stove again so soon. 

I'm a big Duraflame fan, and I'm loving the new 3D improved flame look, but this particular heater has two things I don't care for. First the style is too 'plain' for me. ANd the heat unit that high doesn't make sense for us. I want the heat coming out low (as heat rises naturally) to help with floor and foot warmth.  I'm waiting for them to come out with a style of stove more to my liking with this 3D effect before I buy one. 

Something many people may not realize is that there are two different kinds of heating units now used in Duraflame heaters.

The original ones were designed for a 400 sq. foot room to increase the temp by 6 degrees.

The newer ones that have the quartz infrared heaters are designed to increase the temp by 6 degrees but in a 1000 square foot area.

Both have been advertised to cost 25 cents per hour to operate.

So the quartz ones are more expensive because they are heating a bigger zone.

In my experience, I am finding that in small areas, the original non quartz heaters warm things more quickly, and the heat just feels 'warmer' to me. Don't know if anyone else thinks there is a real difference in the performance like this or not.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Mominohio.  You make several very good points. I'll add, the 400 square-foot units produce lower BTUs then the thousand square foot infrared units. So for every dollar you spend on heating you get more actual heat with the infrared quartz units.

The vendors repeat these units cost up to $0.25 per hour to operate because electric costs vary by area.

For me, about $0.09 per hour is right. I don't know who is paying $0.25 per hour.

Possibly some people who live in desert areas, or other parts of the country where they have to buy most of their electricity from neighboring state rather than producing it in their own area. But $0.09 an hour is a far cry from the upper limit of $0.25 an hour.

I prefer the infrared quartz units because they do not dry out the air. It's more comfortable. And it's far better for my hair and skin to be closed up for 7 months with air that is not dried out and cooked.

75 degree air, whether it's dried out and cooked or not, still reads 75 degrees to a thermostat. But our perception is that the dried-out cooked air feels warmer.

Going by reviews, I'd say past customers were surprised when they bought infrared units and found that they didn't produce heat that felt as warm. Their complaints resulted in moving the heating unit from the bottom of the Duraflame to the upper area so that customers could better feel the heat.

The same heat is being produced whether it's pushed out at ankle level or higher level. This change in design was all about the perception of whether it "feels" warm.

Esteemed Contributor

Food for thought: when preparing to replace an oil burning furnace with a new high-efficiency gas furnace, the sales rep warned me the heat from the new furnace would not feel as warm.

He pointed out the heat coming from the heat registers, provided by an oil furnace really felt very warm to the touch. I agreed.

Then he said the heat from the new furnace would feel only mildly warm, but would heat the entire house much more efficiently. I was getting about $0.30 worth of heat for every dollar I spent on the oil unit. With the new high-efficiency gas furnace I was getting about $0.96 worth of heat for every dollar I spent.

I think of this every time I read a review comparing the older Duraflame models with the infrared quartz units. They both produce heat, but dollar-for-dollar spent over the heating season you actually get more comfortable, consistant heat from the infrared quartz.

The infrared quartz heat is much better for my furniture, my plaster walls, my old oak floor, my pets, and me. But the technology is entirely different, and it doesn't feel as hot to the touch. 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Hi @Mominohio.  You make several very good points. I'll add, the 400 square-foot units produce lower BTUs then the thousand square foot infrared units. So for every dollar you spend on heating you get more actual heat with the infrared quartz units.

The vendors repeat these units cost up to $0.25 per hour to operate because electric costs vary by area.

For me, about $0.09 per hour is right. I don't know who is paying $0.25 per hour.

Possibly some people who live in desert areas, or other parts of the country where they have to buy most of their electricity from neighboring state rather than producing it in their own area. But $0.09 an hour is a far cry from the upper limit of $0.25 an hour.

I prefer the infrared quartz units because they do not dry out the air. It's more comfortable. And it's far better for my hair and skin to be closed up for 7 months with air that is not dried out and cooked.

75 degree air, whether it's dried out and cooked or not, still reads 75 degrees to a thermostat. But our perception is that the dried-out cooked air feels warmer.

Going by reviews, I'd say past customers were surprised when they bought infrared units and found that they didn't produce heat that felt as warm. Their complaints resulted in moving the heating unit from the bottom of the Duraflame to the upper area so that customers could better feel the heat.

The same heat is being produced whether it's pushed out at ankle level or higher level. This change in design was all about the perception of whether it "feels" warm.

Hi @x Hedge

I really don't know what our cost to operate per hour is here, but I do know that even heavy use of my heaters doesn't really run my bill up much. And early in the season, as well as late, I'm able to shut off the baseboard heat, and use the Duraflames as needed when we are in each room. I've gotten to the point where I only run my baseboard heat in most of my house, when it is consistently cold enough to freeze the pipes. 

I will add, for people to just have a heads up. that most everything on Q's website right now from Duraflame appears to be the infrared quartz. 

I don't like that we don't have the option any more, to get the older style. Energy efficiency is of considerable value, but honestly, of the four quartz heaters I have and love, I choose one of my older ones (non quartz) when it is really cold and I want to get warmer faster. 

Getting that more heating area doesn't really mean anything to me, when it feels like chilly air blowing on me. The quartz will eventually make the room as warm as the regular, it just takes much longer for it to happen, and you're ok if you don't  have the heating unit pointed directly at you, as it really does feel like chilly air blowing out (unless you get right down near the unit).

Your ideas about the reasons for the moving of the quartz unit's heating elements up off the floor are very interesting, and something I hadn't even thought of. I just wonder if over time, more people will notice and complain that now the floor and feet aren't easily warmed, as that heat is now rising to the ceiling even quicker!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio, I'm in a cold-weather state and I have four non-quartz room-sized heaters (and several small space heaters) in addition to my one Duraflame. I have had to rely on using those to keep the plaster from cracking and the pipes from freezing for 48+  hours when the furnace went out following a blizzard. Thank goodness the electricity didn't go down too!

But those other heaters are just backups. I used my Duraflame quartz daily throughout the winter last year, and now as well. The highest temp my furnace is set for is 60 degrees. I turn the Duraflame on in the morning when the furnace is also running. I section off half of the house on the main floor, and when the furnace shuts off in early afternoon my Duraflame keeps running for the next eight hours until the furnace kicks back in again in early evening. Although the rest of the house slowly drops down into the fifties during the afternoon, I stay nice and warm in my half of the house thanks to the Duraflame.

Yes, I agree!  Sometimes a warm breeze is still like a windchill blast! I DO miss my radiant quartz heater.  It served me well for about 30 winters. Those heat objects, not the air. You could sit right in front of it in a chilly drafty room and you would stay comfortably warm.

You cant buy that style anymore. They've neen SO modified they're no longer effective at heating.

Alas, more government nanny regulations taking away inexpensive heat for fear we can't use it safely.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the other posts, but I'm THrilled to see a thermostat on this Duraflame TSV!!  I can't tell you how many times that I didn't order the other models, simply because most of them (that I viewed) didn't have a thermostat.  So nice to set a thermostat at a certain temperature during the night, and not worry about awakening to an overly heated room.  Thanks, Duraflame!  I keep all of my electric heaters set at around 65 degrees, (more or less), so the room that I'm in remains just perfect!  Especially during the night...........I don't want any fuses/circuits blown out because a heating unit was too hot for hours and hours on end, not cycling on and off, etc.  Anyway, looking forward to even more models with thermostats!  Perferably smaller units that we can place on table tops.  Love Duraflame!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I hope the Duraflame reps read these posts.

The Duraflame thermostat range is too limited.

My 2 most valuable room sized heaters have a lower end thermostat temp of 39°F.

In the event of severe weather causing furnace failure, I have these heaters set to automatically kick in near plumbing lines if in-house temps drop below 48° during the night. Which it has. Several times.

I'd be a lot more interested in buying another Duraflame if I could leave it on overnight with a thermostat setting in the 50s.