Valued Contributor

Re: Dooney's TSV 10/27

[ Edited ]

@annespan wrote:

I have been oogling this since it appeared here but I can't make a call from the pix.  Naturally I am leaning towards the grey satchel  but I have more grey handbags than sense lol so I have my eye on the bourdeaux as well.  Looking forward to the show this afternoon.

Question for you Florentine fans if I may?  I only own one Florentine xbody so I am no expert but this model seems kindy of shiny.  Am I seeing things or is that usual of larger Florentine bags "in person"?

@annespan This Florentine is new: it's treated to be water resistant, so, no, it's not usual of Florentine. I have several Florentine bags, they will spot in rain, scratch easily, but can be "buffed out" with a finger (oils in your skin) I'm intrigued by this treated Florentine, although, it will not patina (darken over time) like "normal Florentine"...so I'm on the fence

Respected Contributor

Not for me; too structured in both styles.  Also, the satchel is a little too big for me, and the crossbody zipper opening seems too short to get things in and out easily.  Pass!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The satchel is right up my alley, although, I see on the Dooney site, that there is another satchel similar to the Zip Zip style...more up my alley. I'm intrigued by the treatment on the leather, as I'm not a gal who won't take my Florentines out in adverse weather. I'm in NY..it's always adverse weather..lol

I may bite on the satchel, I'm a satchel girl; however, I feel like Goldilocks looking at Dooneys...but I have not found the "just right" yet. 

I LOVE the color of the grey bag, but absolutely will not buy a bag that color with gold hardware..bleck! Makes the bag look cheap. To me, it must have the palladium hardware of the Toscana line for that color. This gets annoying, because I wear mostly grey and want a grey bag. Grey is out.

I have several Toscana Domed Satchels...love them, except the handles don't have the hardware to move them out of the way. BUT they do have an outside pocket AND they are lined with that delicious glove leather.

I may bite on the satchel today, on the fence....and a little tired of "I like it...BUT..."

Super Contributor

I can't go with this stiff, shiny Dooney at all (not that I need it, of course).  I like the shape of the purse and the bordeaux color, but I don't care for anything else about it.  If it was softer leather (perhaps pebble grain), then I might give in.  But the last two bags I bought from Vince Camuto (the Eliza in black cherry and power gray) are perfect for me.  Yes, they do sort of collapse unless you use one of the purse organizers.  But the leather is soft and beautiful to feel as well as look at.  And they are big enough yet not heavy at all to me.  Sorry, but this Dooney is a definite no for me.  (And I have bought some Dooney purses in the past which I still have.)

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Dooney bags and especially the Florentine. If there is no outside pocket big enough to fit my phone it is a no go. Not sure if I like the satiny finish on these bags, but all Dooney leathers I have ever owned eventually soften up. Not ordering this TSV. 

There has been one Florentine Dooney I have watching for the last 6 months or more with two outside pockets, which was definitely under $200 when I last looked at it. The Florentine Medium Pocket Clutch is now $228. The video that is still up talks about it being on clearance for $173 with no reorders. When I was looking at it last night, a link for it as an “as is” $138 price was there in charcoal.  So I have that one coming and the new wallet in Bordeaux. I haven’t ordered any Dooney in a while but now have 2 coming. 

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I do like a pretty handbag, though I don't own a Dooney.  No particular reason (I had my eye on a great shiny white patent bag a few summers ago) until they changed the logo to that shiny plate, on every bag, it seems.

There are many others out there of good quality without that.  I like those better.

I agree with you that the shiny plate logo is a turnoff.  Vendors know that some customers think logos convey prestige or status, so they charge for the "privilege" of carrying their name.  I've never thought of myself as a billboard -- if a vendor wants me to advertise for them, it should pay ME for the privilege by discounting the item! 

Contributor

AGREE! The larger one is too big, stiff and just not pretty. The little one is too tiny...maybe ok for a teen or tiny petite woman.  But it too does't meet the cuteness test. This TSV must not being doing well since  they keep trying to unload it every 20 ininutes or so. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer Florentine leather that has a matte finish rather than this shiny alternative.  I also have several domed satchels, don't like mini crossbody bags so this one is a pass for me.  I do like the fact that is is structured which is my preference but this TSV bag doesn't wow me.  I don't need another bag anyway.

Respected Contributor

@Quse

I’m a Florentine lover, too. I prefer untreated, but I love the bag and couldn’t resist. Bought saddle tan and gray. And on Dooney.com I preordered the Selleria “Mila” Bag in “oxblood” color. I was born preppy and equestrian, so these bags look like home to me! And to me they are bargains. I own several Dooney made-in-Italy bags that were more in the $600 range, so these, even at full price of $328, seemed very well priced. I will see how I feel about the treatment on the leather when they arrive. I usually treat my Florentine bags with the same Bick 4 leather conditioner that I use on saddle and riding boots and never have a problem with them, rain or shine!

Respected Contributor
I love this bag, but I indulged to the last Dooney TSV so I’ll pass on this one.