Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Does anyone know if we are getting Honeybells this year ?

It is an annual tradition that I order a box of Cushman HoneyBells every winter. I love the juicy nature of these Florida delights which are a cross between a Dancy Tangrine and a Duncan Grapefruit. I also adore the older gentleman who presents them. But I know the quality has gone down some since Mr. Cushman sold his enterprise to Harry and Davids and it seems that the normal deteoriation occured when a local business is sold to a mass merchant.  Is anyone buying them or has alternative emeged?  I know several of mine arrived bruised and dirty looking last year !  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone know if we are getting Honeybells this year ?

@Reever 

Yes- TSV on 12/30. M66094 is item #.

Honored Contributor

Love the Honeybells! I need to order more this year.

Respected Contributor

The pre-order e-mail I received said “limited supply” so you better order early.   (I have read that the Florida orange production will be down again this year.)

Esteemed Contributor

Here's something to consider - I also want H Bells again this year........checked out on-line grooves - settled on best known name - Hales.  Think perhaps the quality will be better coming right from the groove.

Placed 2 orders - (gifting one) - 2 Flats of 24 Bells for Jan first delivery and a second shipment for  2  more Flats end of Jan - first of Feb. 

Price $107 plus $35 for shipping charge = Total cost $140 range

You can order just 1 Flat = 12 Bells

or 2 Flat - or 3 - or 4 with two shipments

Last year I ran out and none at QVC so ordered from CA - smaller - not as juicy.  Wanted to avoid those this year.

Frequent Contributor

I have never tried these and am thinking about it.  Are they worth it?   Are they good?

Valued Contributor

@CathyNY they get terrible reviews year after year but because they change item numbers every year so it’s ‘new’ product no one can ever see that when they roll around the following year.

I’ve personally never ordered them/had them so I’m not speaking from personal experience but negative reviews come in afterwards and quite a few angry posts turn up on the board.
Esteemed Contributor

I ordered twice & the ones in the store are much better & cheaper.

Honored Contributor

Cushmans which used to be in Palm Beach FL area.  They  were truly a family business, groves of orange trees & for years we bought honeybells from them on our annual trip to FL.

I now buy minneolas or tangelos -- funny thing they are from CA. I haven't found any FL honeybells.  

Cushmans sold in 2008 after 68 years -- they are now owned by "Harry & David" .   I don't know why the vendor doesn't disclose this info at least I've not heard him state it!

0817213D-606E-42A0-94C4-5A0B9ACB43ED.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hippiechick7897 wrote:
@CathyNYthey get terrible reviews year after year but because they change item numbers every year so it’s ‘new’ product no one can ever see that when they roll around the following year.

It's the same item number, M-66094, that it was as the January 8, 2020 TSV.