Regular Contributor

Do you throw away all packaging materials as soon as you receive item?

Sometimes when reading reviews customers complain they can't return an item because they've already thrown away the box, packing materials, bags,paperwork, etc.   I've seen it so many times I was wondering if most people do that.  I keep all bags, boxes and packing materials until I wear it, wash it, use it or whatever just in case I would have to send it back.  Am I just ******?  My basement is full of QVC boxes that I will be getting rid of now that the holiday return policy is almost over.  I am just curious.  And is it wrong that I don't feel bad for them because they threw everything away?  Smiley Surprised)

Occasional Contributor

Re: Do you throw away all packaging materials as soon as you receive item?

I usually keep shoe boxes.  But there have been occasions where I tried on a garment, thought I liked it.  So I wore it and of course washed it.  I have returned items in different shipping bags, boxes, etc. if they didn't meet my expectations.  Never once was I not refunded if I returned it in the designated time frame.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not throw away the packaging until I am certain that I will be keeping the item.  I also keep all paperwork for the same reason.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I keep all packing material in my basement until the return period is up.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I do not throw away the packaging until I am certain that I will be keeping the item.  I also keep all paperwork for the same reason.

I do the exact same thing.

However....

You do NOT need the original packaging to return something.  Pack it in anything!

The 30 day return policy is UNCONDITIONAL!

You can easily reprint a receipt or ask C/S to email/mail you one.

There is NO excuse for not returning something for these reasons.

Honored Contributor

I wait until I am sure about something before I get rid of the packaging!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I always keep the recepts along with the return slip.  But, I mostly have plenty of boxes around that I can pack in.  And, if it comes in the soft packaging, I would never get it back in that anyways.  I received something once that didn't include the return label, so had to go online to print it out.  I do usually keep the original packaging for a bit, but I rarely return things.  

Respected Contributor

I always keep the boxes that laptops, printers and other large electronics come in just in case i need to return them. I save some shipping bags in various sizes from multiple vendors because they’re convenient. I save most of my receipts for about a year, the exception being Lands End. Lands End has a lifetime warranty on all their merchandise. They don’t require a receipt for warranty claims, but it speeds things up if you can give the CSR the order number of the purchase. 

Esteemed Contributor

I keep receipts and file them.  I  don't keep packing material or the brown box the item comes in.  I do keep the  box that has product info on it until I am totally sure.  I am talking most about electronics.  

Honored Contributor

The receipts and boxes I keep are for things like computers that may go wonky in the first couple months.  (Been there, had to send one back to Dell and it was nice to have original box.)  Apparel and shoes I've learned to try on immediately, I've been burned by letting things sit for six months and the correct season.  So, no, I try to throw out bags and boxes quickly, there is enough junk around here.