Super Contributor

Re: Do you think TSVs are cheaper versions?

I quit buying shoes that are made especially for QVC or HSN.  They never fit me, and they are definetly a cheaper version of the brand.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  And I don't think it's only TSVs that this happens with.  I think it's a lot of items that are dumbed down for shopping channels.

There was a skincare line sold on HSN years ago that was also sold via a website.  It was so much cheaper on HSN, you had to wonder how that could be.  Then it came out that the "special ingredient" that was in the product sold on HSN was in a much lower percentage than in the formula being sold on the company website.  That was never mentioned.  

There was a also a line of shoes sold on HSN.  There was a particular style from the line that was supposedly popular with all the celebs and HSN had it for half the it was being sold in retail.  For the heck of it, I went to other sites that sold the brand to see if that was true.  It was true however, the shoe being sold on HSN were faux leather and the shoe sold in retail was 100% leather.  Again, they didn't bother to tell you that.

I ordered a DKNY handbag from HSN and it came with a pricetag hanging just like you'd see in a department store but the tag specifically said HSN on it.  Made me think it was for HSN only.   

Trusted Contributor

I don't buy products where the presentations is based on repeating 100's of times "this was made specifically for QVC, you won't find this elsewhere".

I do think if they place a large order for a TSV day, they can sit with the vendor and get their price much much lower by going through the specs and eliminating things they don't think the customer would care about (or even know about!), absolutely.

What drives me to insanity is when their big push for the TSV is how many colors they can come up with. Seriously, if a product is a good product, and something I want or need, probably would have gone to the store to buy, the COLOR is the last thing I worry about!

If they come up with 15 colors of a product, that costs money. You can bet they take the increase in price to have so many colors by taking other things away. If some parts are metal, it is easy for a manufacturer to use plastic as long as it doesn't stray from product design. Internal parts can easily be swapped out and it still works as it should, but is most likely would not last as long.

It is harder and more costly for a manufacturer to have an order for X many thousand of something and have to come up with 15 colors they don't normally make! Must be a nightmare for them.

It is not hard to substitute plastic for metal for a universal part used in their product.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

I can only speak for Vionics TSVs.  I have 2 pairs sitting in my closet that are too wide which were the "anniversary" Tide style.  I have 20+ pairs bought various times (from both stores & Q years ago).

The ones lately I've purchased from Q do not fit correctly.  Then I ordered a pair of Clark's "cloudesteppers" both I've ordered in my regular size -- too small☹️.  

What really annoys me is the exchange policy only works if youexchange for size -- after 1st exchange one gets charged!

I'm no longer interested in wasting $10+ to try something on!

I just bought 3 pairs of shoes (Clark's & Vionics) at Bealls ..all 3 fit perfectly!  Plus, Q is maybe $1-5 cheaper for Vionics no great savings if they don't fit 🤷‍♀️.  Then $6.95 return shipping even though free shipping to get them to me!

I believe now everything is "mass produced" sizing is always off!

Respected Contributor

I got my vionic tide TSV (took 12 days) and in all fairness it fit like the ones in  Bealls.  My usual size nine was in vionics at least a half inch to an inch too long and straps so loose I would not be able to keep on my feet.  I would need an 8. I am not returning for an 8 because it will be at least weeks before I get the replacement and might not like the fit on that one. It is all just too much. Also returning my cheap Spenco TSV.  The arch on shoe  is not where my arch is so useless. 

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely when they make thousands for a tsv.  My Vionics lasted one month last fall when the cork broke off in chunks. Reading the reviews it happened to many.  I’ve sent two Barefoot Dreams back because of holes and bad seaming.  No way did Oprah wear a Barefoot Dreams made in China!