Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think TSVs are cheaper versions?

Yes, I do for some things. I’ve only had one pair of vionic shoes when they were first sold on Q. They did not work for me but don’t know if that was because of inferior quality or something else. I do know that, at least for me, the Clark Shoes are nothing like the ones I see in their retail stores. I did purchase the last Clark’s TSV and while they are okay I’m not going to run around bragging about them. I’ve purchased other Clark’s that were definitely some type of special lot of inferior quality that was somehow offloaded on Q. This is why I have pretty much stopped buying Q shoes. I also think sometimes electronic vendors offload discontinued items at a cheap cost to Q and then they present them as the latest and greatest. Clothing is hit and miss for me but not as bad as shoes and electronics. The air joe compressor is one item that was likely dumped on Q at a low price because a newer model was on the horizon (referring to the TSV before Christmas 2018).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I don't.

It would cost a vendor more to change it's materials / processing to produce a cheaper version.

What I do think though ... many items may be on the verge of being "new and improved" and some of the items sold on QVC may be the last of the former version which is about to be replaced.

ETA:  I wouldn't buy any electronics from QVC.

Respected Contributor

I was thinking about today's DeLonghi TSV and looked at the DeLonghi website since the host said the same model was for sale there at a higher price. QVC's version was over 20 pounds lighter in weight.

I posted a question asking why there's a weight difference if both are the same model number.

Now all of the 40 posted questions are gone.

It's so hard to believe that happened by accident.

I'm writing this at 5:12 pm.

Sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

Y ears ago, I bought an Oreck vacuum from the Q.  After awhile it started acting up, so I took it to my local vacuum repair shop.  The owner told me that it had been made especially for QVC.  He showed me where my item had a special number and plastic parts. On other similar Oreck vacs the parts were metal!!  He told me that in his opinion, this product was not made as well nor was as good as the metal one!!!

Respected Contributor

I think some are, some aren’t.

Depends on what it is and who makes it.

I tend to think if it sounds like too much of a good deal, it probably isn’t.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

For myself I dont pay much attention to reviews, especially the bad ones (unless its the same problem over and over).

There are people who are negative nellies and dont find any good in anything.  Just read some of the posts on these boards, its so prevalent.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@corita wrote:

Y ears ago, I bought an Oreck vacuum from the Q.  After awhile it started acting up, so I took it to my local vacuum repair shop.  The owner told me that it had been made especially for QVC.  He showed me where my item had a special number and plastic parts. On other similar Oreck vacs the parts were metal!!  He told me that in his opinion, this product was not made as well nor was as good as the metal one!!!

If you look around and compare before purchasing, all of the Big Box retailers do this.  Every major manufacturer makes "cheaper" versions of their products to fit the price point in the big box stores.  Look before you buy those name brands - whirlpool, maytag, John Deere, Weber, Dyson from a Big Box retailer.

You may find that the model sold at the big box store or QVC was made overseas but if you look at a local specialty store will sell a product from that brand made in the USA.

Honored Contributor

I think some items are made exclusively for QVC and are different than those found in retail.

I have a pair of Vionic sandals that I did not purchase from QVC.  I liked them so I bought the Vionic TSV from QVC.

I got a size 6 and both pairs fit alike.  I do NOT think these Vionics were made with any corners cut.  Each sandal was in a plastic bag and tucked in paper really nice and there was a Vionic card on top, of it all.  The box came with a silicone band around it.

Vionics are packaged this way all of the time.  If QVC wanted to cut corners, this is where it would start, IMO.

The TSV was advertised saying the footbed was a bit wider than some of it's other Tide models.  If you have a narrow foot, they probably won't fit right.  This was stated upfront and ok for me.

I wear a medium sandal, though I often will buy a wide boot if I am going to wear thick socks.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes that is true.  It's true of today's Tolani TSV.  It's a dumbed down version of Tolani, nothing like the items sold in Neiman's and boutiques.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet 

Never really thought about it, but it does make me wonder.  Interesting thread and question. I guess if the mods poof this thread, we may have the answer.