Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you thing Today's Special Value (Leather Jacket) is flattering?

Greetings, ladies.  I will take the other side in this discussion.  First, I agree that most hosts and some models would do better going up a size in this jacket.  They would look a bit less "squashed".  That said I ordered it in the mallard blue.  The color caught my eye and I decided to go with it.

I purchased the leather TSV from last year in the deep burgundy and was pleased with it.  I usually size down in D/C, but did not do so in that jacket for the same reason I noted above--it looked too tight on the hosts and models.  I did check the garment measurements between last year's jacket and this one.  This year's jacket measurements seem to be 1 inch larger in the chest and waist.  I stayed with the same size I ordered last year.  A bit of extra room may be welcome as I will be wearing sweaters under the jacket most of the time.

When I reviewed last year's jacket, I chided the Q for not spending the few extra dollars for a two way zipper.  They remedied that issue in this year's jacket.  With the extra length and closer shape of this year's jacket, the absence of a two way zipper would have been a deal breaker for me.

The mallard color looked slightly different on each of my TVs and my computer, so I will have to wait to see it in person to make a final decision.  If the color is too bright or if, as a previous poster suggested, the leather looks "plastic", it will be going back.  With free S/H, however, I am only risking the return shipping if I don't like it.  Bottom line?  I am hoping for the best and looking forward to wearing what I consider to be a stylish jacket available at a reasonable price.

Frequent Contributor

I don't like the seam at the waist, the placement of the pockets, or the way that second zipper hangs down. I also think it's a little too long. Don't like all the pieces in the back either. Despite what Gary says, that's not a high-end detail..many seams/pieces in a leather jacket usually means the leather is not that great.  I ordered one but cancelled it after I took a closer look.

Honored Contributor

The only things that I like about this jacket is the fact that it comes in petite sizes and the sleeves will be shorter for those of us who need shorter sleeves. I also like the colors.

However I'm not crazy about the overall style and I don't think it would be a flattering look on me.  I also wonder about the quality of the leather.  Sure they say it's soft but is it really?  It has a somewhat stiff look to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

I have been looking at today's special value  since yesterday and there is something about the way it fits some of the models and hosts that causes me to hesitate ordering.  Is it my tv? Is it the zipper closing?   If it is unzipped it hangs nicely, but when zipped (unless the model is a size XS) it seems to pull across the front and also back.  And on one host it was so unflattering, I decided it isn't for me as I wear a larger size that what she was wearing.  What are your opinions?

I don;'t think it is selling well...it is only 5:30 pm and they are having a final presentation...and i checked the web page and i think maybe 2 sizes  are on waitlist...all other sizes (both Reg & Petite) are in stock....

Esteemed Contributor

The reason for many seams and pieces of leather in TSV is by cutting and sewing smaller pieces of leather, the manufacturer is able to use less expensive pieces of leather. Thus the cost of the jacket is much less to make. If the jacket was made of large pieces of quality leather, the cost would have been prohibitive. MY MAIN PROBLEM with this style is the COLLAR: Won't the owner be taking the jacket to the cleaners constantly to remove the neck oils? Too expensive in upkeep for me!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@de1rdre wrote:

Greetings, ladies.  I will take the other side in this discussion.  First, I agree that most hosts and some models would do better going up a size in this jacket.  They would look a bit less "squashed".  That said I ordered it in the mallard blue.  The color caught my eye and I decided to go with it.

I purchased the leather TSV from last year in the deep burgundy and was pleased with it.  I usually size down in D/C, but did not do so in that jacket for the same reason I noted above--it looked too tight on the hosts and models.  I did check the garment measurements between last year's jacket and this one.  This year's jacket measurements seem to be 1 inch larger in the chest and waist.  I stayed with the same size I ordered last year.  A bit of extra room may be welcome as I will be wearing sweaters under the jacket most of the time.

When I reviewed last year's jacket, I chided the Q for not spending the few extra dollars for a two way zipper.  They remedied that issue in this year's jacket.  With the extra length and closer shape of this year's jacket, the absence of a two way zipper would have been a deal breaker for me.

The mallard color looked slightly different on each of my TVs and my computer, so I will have to wait to see it in person to make a final decision.  If the color is too bright or if, as a previous poster suggested, the leather looks "plastic", it will be going back.  With free S/H, however, I am only risking the return shipping if I don't like it.  Bottom line?  I am hoping for the best and looking forward to wearing what I consider to be a stylish jacket available at a reasonable price.

@de1rdre

I couldn't have said it any better - excellent review!  Based on that, I decided to get one:  liked the style - something that's pretty basic and will always be current.  From what you said about the quality of last year's jacket, I was assured it's a nice leather.  Got the Dark Pine - contrary to what was mentioned on this thread, the pxxs thru ps were all sold out online; however when I called I got, probably the last ps and the only color was the green.  And, like you if it doesn't appeal to me, it'll be going back and the free initial shipping evens things out - color is so hard to determine as it's different on every monitor.

Thanks and hope you enjoy your jacket!

Respected Contributor

Nice to see real leather in colors beside black and brown, but this leather loving lady doesn't need another jacket. The responses here do make some valid points. I noticed many models wore scarves. I am hoping to see more leather in skirts, pants, etc. in the coming months.

Esteemed Contributor

Its too fitted for my body so I passed on it....I really wish the hosts and models would wear correct sizes...they all need to go up a size or two...most leave the jackets open and the ones who close them looked like they can't breathe...

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I hope you enjoy yours as well!  You can't have too many leather jackets.

Respected Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

I think most of the host and models wear a size that is to small for them and that is why it looks tight across the chest and looks like it is tugging. Not my style and I feel like it looks like fake plastic leather.

Yes, good point. They do wear jackets too tight. Carolyn wore what I think was this tsv jacket in blue yesterday, and it was not a good look on her. Tight. The finish on this looks too shiny for me. Plus, I don't want to have to pay shipping in case the stitching is bad, the fit is off, or the leather is disappointingly thin. It costs too much to try things on at QVC, so I am ordering less.