Honored Contributor

Re: Dell TSV E-226576 Intel Core i5 8GB RAM 1TB HD

I have a Dell. It was a TSV in April, I think. It's an i5 and has a backlit keyboard. Runs great.
Honored Contributor

For Funloving and anyone else who is interested: here are the specs for this laptop:

SCHOOL LAPTOP DESCRIPTION DOC

HP Probook 6450b Standard 6-12

Processor: Intel ® Core ™ i5 CPU M250@2.40GHz 2.40GHz

RAM (Installed memory 2.00 GB (1.86 GB usable)

32-bit Operating System

Product ID: 00371- OEM-8992671-00008

Windows 7 Professional

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

Have you looked on QVC website because I bought a Dell 17 in i7 5 months ago with a backlit keyboard and I love it

I returned three HP's because I did not like the keyboard or the screen or the sound so far I am very happy with my Dell and it runs cool too. I went to local stores could not find what I wanted went to Dell's website and QVC price was still a lot better then Dells own website.

People will say QVC sells old technology I do not buy old technology I printed out the specs took it to a computer geek who knows computers he said get it he said this was top of the line. I'm very happy with my Dell.

Honored Contributor

2GB of RAM is totally not a good choice for a Win7, or beyond, computer. I'd go a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

Honored Contributor

On 12/14/2014 chickenbutt said:

2GB of RAM is totally not a good choice for a Win7, or beyond, computer. I'd go a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

Yes, I agree, chickenbutt... there is an issue for amount of disk space on here. I opted for dropbox to conserve space and have enough that I need, just that I really need more. However, pics and videos really need to be stored on an external hard drive anyway, though. When I retire in a week, I will only know if this 2gb is enough when all of the white-board software is off. Hoping they let me keep this one for a little while... to help the newbie with lessons, etc.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

On 12/14/2014 lovestoteach said:
On 12/14/2014 chickenbutt said:

Yes, I agree, chickenbutt... there is an issue for amount of disk space on here. I opted for dropbox to conserve space and have enough that I need, just that I really need more. However, pics and videos really need to be stored on an external hard drive anyway, though. When I retire in a week, I will only know if this 2gb is enough when all of the white-board software is off. Hoping they let me keep this one for a little while... to help the newbie with lessons, etc.

RAM is not hard drive space. Hard drive space is where you would store stuff, speaking to your need to use Dropbox to help save space. Storage = hard drive. Dropbox is cloud based storage. So sending this to Dropbox means you are storing in the cloud, not on your hard drive. RAM is about memory, which going along with the processors. This is what helps things move fast, and helps things moving when you have many things open at the same time. More things open, especially things with heavy graphics or video, use more RAM. With today's websites containing a lot of moving graphics and videos, along with the windows 8 environment, baseline RAM should start at 4GB.
Super Contributor

On 12/14/2014 autumnsunset said:

Have you looked on QVC website because I bought a Dell 17 in i7 5 months ago with a backlit keyboard and I love it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I returned three HP's because I did not like the keyboard or the screen or the sound so far I am very happy with my Dell and it runs cool too. I went to local stores could not find what I wanted went to Dell's website and QVC price was still a lot better then Dells own website.

People will say QVC sells old technology I do not buy old technology I printed out the specs took it to a computer geek who knows computers he said get it he said this was top of the line. I'm very happy with my Dell.

I think it is important to understand what is being purchased when buying a computer. Many do not understand what they are buying. The i7 that you bought is newer technology, and one of their faster processors. That cannot be said of many of the comouters that are offered for sale on the shopping channels. And so when a host says x is the latest technology and x will be lightening fast, that is only true if one does the research and looks to see that ALL of the components that are built into what is being sold is truly as stated. Of course a computer will be junk if it is built with slow out dated technology.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/14/2014 lovestoteach said:

For Funloving and anyone else who is interested: here are the specs for this laptop:

SCHOOL LAPTOP DESCRIPTION DOC

HP Probook 6450b Standard 6-12

Processor: Intel ® Core ™ i5 CPU M250@2.40GHz 2.40GHz

RAM (Installed memory 2.00 GB (1.86 GB usable)

32-bit Operating System

Product ID: 00371- OEM-8992671-00008

Windows 7 Professional

This is a custom built computer for a school. It is not a home built product. I usually buy a laptop with 8 GB of memory. My desktop all have 16GB of RAM.

Honored Contributor

Because I am totally cyber ignorant, I HAVE to buy Apple products and I can use them and I love them. There are several previous posters in this thread who are obviously VERY tech savvy, and for them, ANY computer can work for them. My conclusion? I admit my ignorance and know how to work with it. Saying something "is junk" because YOU don't know how to use it is being ignorant of your own ignorance, a double problem!
Respected Contributor

Thanks lovestoteach! I agree, those are strange specs. Personally I wouldn't want anything with less that 8GB of RAM and 1TB of HD. Especially when running Windows 8.1. I think with this version a touchscreen enhances the experience. Obviously I'd prefer Windows 7, but Windows 10 won't be released until late summer to early fall.

I looked at the specs on the TSV Dell, but no backlit keyboard was a deal breaker.

For those who like Dell, check out Best Buy. Same specs as the TSV but with touchscreen- which it may have had-- plus a 2 level brightness back-lit keyboard. Very reasonable prices right now.