Honored Contributor

Re: Curious about air fryer popularly

@MJDinVegas   To me, the baskets look big enough that if I filled them even halfway, I'd always be eating leftovers.

The one demo I saw last night showed a whole small roaster in one and enough brussel sprouts for 4 in the other.

Super Contributor

They make food a lot more crispy than putting in the oven. You can cut fat intake because they don't use oil. I bought one when I was on Nutrisystem. They made their low fat lunch wraps taste much better than microwaving them. I've been hooked on air fryers ever since then. It's kind of like if you never had a microwave before. Then when you get one, you realize how nice they are. That being said, they do take up a lot of counter space. I keep mine in the cabinet & bring it out when I use it. I hate counter clutter. Also, I haven't had much luck with Ninja products. I found an off brand one that works great.

Respected Contributor

Ours is broken........the BF told me to pick one for him to purchase (he's the only one who uses it) but I'm overwhelmed by reviews etc.....only caveat is to keep it at $200 or less. 

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@grandma petes wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

Don't have one, can't imagine why I would need one. I've been putting meals on the table my entire adult life without one. 

What's the attraction? Am I seriously missing something?

I thought the same thing....until my son got me this one for Mother's Day. It has been a total game changer for me. The match cook/smart cook features are awesome. Cooking two different foods, at different temps and different times and having them ready at the same time...incredible. I haven't used my regular oven since. Everything I've cooked has been fantastic. Saves time, energy and calories. It has really made meal prep a whole new experience. I've been cooking for 50 years and this has been the best appliance I've ever owned. Once you try it...you'll wonder how you cooked without it.

@grandma petes 

Which air fryer do you have?

I have the 8qt version of the TSV. Mine is an all digital one instead of the knob...but any version of this is awesome.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't own one, and have a small condo kitchen with no "real estate" left...ok, one spot open for either air fryer or Kitchaid stand mixer...contemplating if I'll get either. Though not contemplating today's special, at this point.

Anyway, just fyi...I recently was watching about the PFOA's etc in non-stick cookware, and they mentioned making sure, if you buy an airfryer, get one where the basket is NOT non-stick, but stainless steel or I guess ceramic, if they even have those. But the point is...something safe, not the non-stick.

Respected Contributor

I bought one and returned it.  Way too loud and took up too much counter space.  ALso, I just don't "cook" like that.  Most of the foods seem to be ready made and you just heat up. Most, not all.  I find this to be a useless tool for me.  Give me a good knife and some good pans and I am ready to go.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

lots of interesting responses. Thanks. 

Even if I wanted an air fryer, I don't have the counter space. 
I keep my slow cooker in a cupboard and pull it out when needed, which is fairly often. 
Also I have a nice toaster oven in cupboard storage in case I want to use it. 
I could actually live without a microwave, it's basically just a reheating appliance. I'd go back to reheating leftovers in a pan on the stove. Like in the olden days lol

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I have this model and use it almost daily. I’m the time it takes my oven to reheat, food is nearly done in the air fryer. Last night I made chicken breasts in one side and sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts in the other. This morning my son toasted a bagel and heated some sausages.

Ninja air fryers are ceramic coated, not traditional nonstick. It’s super easy to clean.
Esteemed Contributor

I bought one a year ago, used it for 2 weeks and returned it. I followed recipes to the letter, and felt it was messy, too much work and didn't like the outcome. I know most love theirs and wouldn't be without them. For me, it didn't fit the bill. 

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@grandma petes 

Please read the reviews on the TSV, one buyer posted photos showing the back of their unit melted (by the vents) and the scorched kitchen tiles.

@KingstonsMom I read that review also, but wonder if the poster had the air fryer too close to the wall. As with any electronic appliance, you should never use if the vents are obstructed. They need room for air to circulate while in use.