Respected Contributor

Curious about air fryer popularly

Don't have one, can't imagine why I would need one. I've been putting meals on the table my entire adult life without one. 

What's the attraction? Am I seriously missing something?

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

Re: Curious about air fryer popularly

@fairydogmother wrote:

Don't have one, can't imagine why I would need one. I've been putting meals on the table my entire adult life without one. 

I thought the same thing....until my son got me this one for Mother's Day. It has been a total game changer for me. The match cook/smart cook features are awesome. Cooking two different foods, at different temps and different times and having them ready at the same time...incredible. I haven't used my regular oven since. Everything I've cooked has been fantastic. Saves time, energy and calories. It has really made meal prep a whole new experience. I've been cooking for 50 years and this has been the best appliance I've ever owned. Once you try it...you'll wonder how you cooked without it.

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

I thought the same thing....until my son got me this one for Mother's Day. It has been a total game changer for me. The match cook/smart cook features are awesome. Cooking two different foods, at different temps and different times and having them ready at the same time...incredible. I haven't used my regular oven since. Everything I've cooked has been fantastic. Saves time, energy and calories. It has really made meal prep a whole new experience. I've been cooking for 50 years and this has been the best appliance I've ever owned. Once you try it...you'll wonder how you cooked without it.

@grandma petes 

Which air fryer do you have?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I would buy the TSV IF you had the option to replace the two small baskets with one big basket.  Even though there are two sets of controls, you could set them for the same time/temp and make it work for larger items.

For now, I'll stick with the small one I have.  The TSV would also require more counter space I would have a hard time coming up with.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @fairydogmother !  I have two of different types both Ninja.  The smaller of the two is the more barrel shaped and we use it for fries, potatoes, veggies, frozen fish mostly.  The other is the Ninja Foodi grill which also air fries.  We use it mostly as a grill in winter when we don't want to grill outside.  It's not as convenient air frying since it's harder to mix contents while cooking.  The new one is interesting but the individual compartments look small to me even only for 2 people.

Respected Contributor

I'm always liking new cooking gadgets, but never use like I should.  I have a Ninja grill and it does all kinds of stuff. I only grill steaks and burgers on it and does a fantastic job on those.

I guess I am in no rush to get supper on the table.  I prepare, pop in oven and do something else as it cooks.  Just me and husband.  I get the table ready, make a salad and prepare a veggie or read the paper.  Sometimes I start the meal and go walk the dog and he finishes it up.  

I don't use the oven every night either.  Sometimes cook extra and have leftovers.  Sometimes stir fry.  If I lived alone maybe different story.

I do not need another item on my counter.  I'm sure it is a nice appliance to have.

Two things I can't do without is a dishwasher and a microwave.

Respected Contributor

people love them or dont see a need.

i love my ninja!

my fav steak and roasted fresh veggies......delish!  ohhhh and cornbread baked in it is yummm!

i do not do frozen fries or tots or cheese sticks or or or.........though i do understand that many think this is what an air fryer is for.   no no no

10 VERSATILE FUNCTIONS: Air Fry, Air Roast, Bake, Whole Roast, Broil, Toast, Bagel, Dehydrate, Reheat, and Pizza, all in one powerful 1800-watt appliance

i do not use a regular oven

i do not use a toaster

i do not use a toaster oven

i do not use a deep fryer

ninja.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had this one (broke it moving) and loved it.  I could do both the meat and a vegetable and have it finish on time and it was big enough for both of us unless you eat a huge amount of food.  IF you are using both sides it does take a little longer but other than that I found it worked great for me.  Yes it is bigger (obviously) but to me it was worth it. 

My husband now likes his chicken, fish, pork etc done in the air fryer much more than the oven.  I replaced it with a barrel Insta-pot one and I like it but I miss the second basket.  I use mine almost every night.  On the plus side the house doesn't heat up like it would during the summer if using the oven.  

For those that can't imagine why you would need one, well back in the day no one could imagine needing a microwave either.   If you don't think you'll need it, you probably will be one of the ones that winds up griping about why you bought it and that you couldn't get it to work for you.  For those of us that like to try new stuff and found we really like how it works we will continue to use it and enjoy it.  

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes 

Please read the reviews on the TSV, one buyer posted photos showing the back of their unit melted (by the vents) and the scorched kitchen tiles.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a big Paula Deen 8.5 qt. air fryer I bought from ShopHQ several years ago.  I love that thing!  I love my pressure cooker more, but I digress.  lol  We don't eat a lot of convenience foods, but when we do, there is no comparison between using it and using the oven.  And who wants to fry with hot popping grease on top of a stove?  Not I.  Nor do I want the calories.  I make fried green tomatoes, salmon cakes, and grilled asparagus in mine besides using it to "bake" all frozen bread bread products like frozen bread sticks, cheese toast, etc.  It's great to "bake" taco shells.  You will never find crispier shells than those baked in an air fryer.  It's great to heat up leftover pizza and crescent rolls--tastes just like they do after the initial cooking.  I could go on and on, but I probably use it 3-4 times a week.  If it died tomorrow, I would get another big one like I have now--and it is just my husband and me.  We're not big people, but you can always cook less in a big air fryer; you can't cook more in a small one.  I like the basket type of air fryer, because invariably, there will be that yellow grease that appears, and a basket type is so easy to clean and no one sees the stubborn leftover residue from that grease.  Just my 2c!