Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

I have 2 Corky’s restaurants within 5 miles of my home, and you can buy all these products in the freezer section of all my local grocery stores. One rack of ribs costs $9.99 in the grocery store. QVC is charging $50 for 2 racks. It really makes me uncomfortable that they are charging people so much for this food.

Sorry @MaryLamb , I have to doubt very much you found a full rack of baby back ribs for $9.99.  I have seen $9.99 per pound though.  Since a full rack is about 2 lbs, that would be about $20 for a full rack.  Two racks make it $40.  Now add the cost of seasonings and sauces, and the convenience of showing up at your door and not having to shop for any of it or cook it yourself.  I think $49.95 is very reasonable.

There is an excellent all-BBQ restaurant near me called Rockland's BBQ.  They have a full rack of baby back ribs for $24.99.  So they are right on par with Corky's 2 racks for $50.

Valued Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

I have 2 Corky’s restaurants within 5 miles of my home, and you can buy all these products in the freezer section of all my local grocery stores. One rack of ribs costs $9.99 in the grocery store. QVC is charging $50 for 2 racks. It really makes me uncomfortable that they are charging people so much for this food.

Sorry @MaryLamb , I have to doubt very much you found a full rack of baby back ribs for $9.99.  I have seen $9.99 per pound though.  Since a full rack is about 2 lbs, that would be about $20 for a full rack.  Two racks make it $40.  Now add the cost of seasonings and sauces, and the convenience of showing up at your door and not having to shop for any of it or cook it yourself.  I think $49.95 is very reasonable.

There is an excellent all-BBQ restaurant near me called Rockland's BBQ.  They have a full rack of baby back ribs for $24.99.  So they are right on par with Corky's 2 racks for $50.

@Caaareful Shopper  As Bandwife pointed out, the ones they sell in the grocery store are not baby back ribs. However, I wouldn’t have known that, as they look exactly the same as the ones on tv, and I couldn’t imagine them being any more tender or juicer than the ones I buy in the store. It would be interesting to see someone take the meat off 2 racks and place it in a bowl and weigh it. I bet you couldn’t fill a cereal bowl with the meat from 2 racks, and I bet it would barely weigh a pound. I’ll happily stick to the $9.99 Corky’s ribs I can buy in the store.

Esteemed Contributor

I ordered Corky’s ribs once when Robert was the pittmaster.  They did not look like the ones on tv.  No meat, gristle and hardly sauced. I got my money back.

Honored Contributor

I went to a big Publix.  This one is comparable to a Super store like Wegmans, World Class size ShopRites up north -- they sell Corky ribs, Bobby Chez crab cakes, juniors cheesecake, etc.  (bulk area).

I took notice 2 lb. rib package $29.98!  I think I'll buy them to try.

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

I get a package of 3 racks of baby backs at my local Sams Club for around $23 and cook them ourselves. With our own sauce, we can get 2 meals (6 racks )for the $50 price tag.  Actually if you consider left overs its more like 4 or 5 meals.  

Honored Contributor

@CookieC25 

This is definitely NOT the shoe thread I was expecting! lol