Valued Contributor

Corky's Ham or Turkey TSV

[ Edited ]

I believe on Wednesday (10/23) there will be a TSV from Corky's for a ham and / or turkey.  Just wanted to say a word of advice.  If you are considering ordering check the "nutritional info" just above the description.  There are more chemicals in them  then there are in a chemical factory!  Two people in my family have to eat glutten free or they get very sick.  You would think that a ham or turkey would be glutten free.  Wrong!  They have "modified food starch"  which could be any kind of starch that could cause a reaction for people who can't have certain starches.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Corky's Ham or Turkey TSV

I bought the turkey dinner Corky’s TSV 2 years ago for my Friends-giving dinner. My guests and I enjoyed it very much.
Honored Contributor

I haven't bought a turkey (or ham) in years, but I have bought turkey breasts and they're all full of chemicals too.  So, I would expect any grocery store turkey will be the same.  

Valued Contributor

I checked the nutritional info also. The sodium is way too high for me.  

910 mg of sodium for a serving size of ham and

460 mg of sodium for a serving size of turkey. 

That's a definite blood pressure spike for me. As far as the chemicals I only buy organic meat. 

Regular Contributor

sure looks good on TV.  I Googled Corkys ham & found previous year’s comments.  Most said it was way too salty and very tough.  Sure, some enjoyed it, but more said they threw it in the trash & some were embarrassed to serve it to family & friends;  I've had good luck with Honeybaked Ham for both ham & turkey.  Enough said.  Happy Holidays!

Trusted Contributor

Not that this is something I will buy....but before you complain about the chemicals pay attention to where they are

The chemicals you mention are in the glaze.  You don't have to use the glaze which is included.  I imagine if you purchase a ham in the grocery store and use the glaze packet which comes with it, you are getting the same chemicals.  I make my own glaze from brown sugar and pure "michigan" maple syrup.

Super Contributor

I purchased Corky's ribs with a St. Claire side a couple of years ago and I got so deathly ill, that I almost called my daughter to take me to the ER.  I was in the bathroom all night.  The ribs weren't that great and neither was the St. Claire side.  I threw the rest away and have never bought any food items on QVC since.  Too risky.  They have just as good items at my local Wegmans.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimomof4 wrote:

Not that this is something I will buy....but before you complain about the chemicals pay attention to where they are

The chemicals you mention are in the glaze.  You don't have to use the glaze which is included.  I imagine if you purchase a ham in the grocery store and use the glaze packet which comes with it, you are getting the same chemicals.  I make my own glaze from brown sugar and pure "michigan" maple syrup.

I'm not sure what  nutritional info you read, but i just went back and checked.  The Ham itself (not the glaze) has sodium phosphats, potassium acetate, potassuim lactate, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorlate, and sodium nitrate.   The glaze has other chemicals besides these.  And as far as my using a glaze I only use pure pinapple juice or orange jucie.  Sorry, still don't think this ham is a good buy!

Trusted Contributor

@daisy4 wrote:

@mimomof4 wrote:

I'm not sure what  nutritional info you read, but i just went back and checked.  The Ham itself (not the glaze) has sodium phosphats, potassium acetate, potassuim lactate, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorlate, and sodium nitrate.   The glaze has other chemicals besides these.  And as far as my using a glaze I only use pure pinapple juice or orange jucie.  Sorry, still don't think this ham is a good buy!

Every ham you buy has those chemicals for preservation whether in the Grocery store or from Honey Baked.  

Totally agree - the Corky's products aren't a great buy for me.

Honored Contributor

I will stick with Honey Baked Ham and Turkey that are delicious and cost less,

kindness is strength