Respected Contributor

Re: Corky's BBQ Ham & Turkey Combo with Glaze M87665

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll be cooking AGAIN on Thanksgiving and Christmas! I'm going to pass on this combo. I buy and everyone loves, The Honey Baked Ham. It's very expensive and like everything else has gone up this year(Honey Baked Ham-Bone-In Half, $89.99 -$104.99, 6 to 10 lbs) It is delicious though and a lot less salty. I've heard that Aldi's makes a very good ham. Any recs for that? I do sometimes buy the St. Clair Sweet potato casserole. We like it. I did purchase two of them this year and they are in the freezer. One less thing to make!Smiley Happy

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

I bought this for the past 4 years and I have never had an issue with it. It was delicious and I am ordering again on AD

My only disappointment is that the meal doesn't come with the gravy this year. 

Last year they stopped the croissants that had been included. I love those croissants. 

Valued Contributor

The sides alone are more than this entire price. 

I wouldn't want barbeque flavored anything on Thanksgiving! 

The reviews on this food are meh!

Trusted Contributor

Do y'all not have local restaurants or catering companies that offer Thanksgiving dinners for you to take home?  I much prefer to shop local from people who operate in my community.  

As an additional comment, our local grocery store carries the St. Claire sides.  They cost $7.99 for 2 lbs.   They are nothing special.  

Honored Contributor

I thought I would give it a shot for the simple fact that its easy and all you do is put it in the oven and it all cooks at the same time.  No fuss, no muss. I can bring it to my daughter's and she can just stick it in the oven and we can all relax and enjoy.  The have no kids and there will be plenty of leftovers.  I hope it's good.

Regular Contributor

Yeah, prices have gone up. I'm not getting this as going to a family member's house for dinner. I have heard both on QVC and my local news that turkeys will not only be much higher in price but scarce due to the bird flu that hit earlier this year. I will be curious to see how much turkeys will be in stores.

Honored Contributor

@PacificNWgal wrote:

Yeah, prices have gone up. I'm not getting this as going to a family member's house for dinner. I have heard both on QVC and my local news that turkeys will not only be much higher in price but scarce due to the bird flu that hit earlier this year. I will be curious to see how much turkeys will be in stores.

@PacificNWgal   My local stores have already started putting up warning signs about poutry availability. 

In fact right now, we can only purchase a max of two dozen eggs at a time.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm making a roast duck for myself...I live alone and I can get two days of meat from one roast duck.

I use Julia Child's steam roast process....a little time consuming, but out of this world results.!!

It's a once a year treat for me....

Ducks have more fat than chicken and turkey, and this method of cooking renders a lot of the fat out, then you roast it in the over last to crisp the skin.

I let the fat solidify on the water used for the steaming, and feed it mixed with cat food to the ferals I feed, so it doesn't go to waste. They can use the extra fat and calories for warmth now that it's cold here in NW PA.

Aldi had tons of ducks. They also had Butterball turkey's for 1.69/pound last week, which I think is high. (Oct 21,2022)

Last year I panicked and bought turkey early ....same kind of news reports, and by the week before T-day, the prices had come waaaaaayyyyyy down and I felt foolish.

Of course, if you have a big dinner planned, you want to be sure to get your turkey when you can. Being single, I can risk waiting, cause I don't care if I can't get one.

I have a turkey from LAST T-day in my freezer. Some day I will make it.

I like to buy the smallest turkey I can find. Usually, the monsters come to market first, then the smaller ones. Hmmmm...could that be why the prices per pound are so high when they first come to your store?????

Whatever you get, cook it yourself and stay away from prepared glop. The act of buying, preparing,cooking and finally eating is part of the Holiday.

You can buy prepared glop in the supermarket deli any old day of the week.!!

Buy a good cookbook.!!

You'll never regret knowing how to cook, and you won't be fooled into buying three pounds of chicken parts ( culls most likely) with a little smoked paprika sprinkled on it,  "gourmet"slapped on the label, stored in an industrial freezer for months so they can send it all out in one day for the TSV....for 130.00 dollars.

Seriously...how hard is it to roast a turkey breast? They advise you to wrap this thing (TSV) in foil and put it in the oven to "warm up"....

Guess what. You can make a real turkey breast ( or red  ham...it's ALL precooked!!! except for fresh ham)...in just a little more time.

After all...many people buy the toaster ovens, the air fryers, the Le Creuset cookware, the Kitchen Aid mixers, the turkey lifters, the knife sets, the choppers...what  are people usiing all the "From scratch" stuff for?

I know!!! Counter queens!!!! Especially the big name brand things ( KA, LC...)

I went on E-bay..there are more than 500 listings, some for NON-working KA mixers...they LOOK brand new, for less than 100 dollars ,some a lot less. All the popular colors.

If you want a counter queen, but one of these, shine it up, put in on your counter, and buy a few bags of Pepperidge farm cookies or a Sara Lee cake beside it to serve. ( wink wink!!)

Who'll know?

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I thought I would give it a shot for the simple fact that its easy and all you do is put it in the oven and it all cooks at the same time.  No fuss, no muss. I can bring it to my daughter's and she can just stick it in the oven and we can all relax and enjoy.  The have no kids and there will be plenty of leftovers.  I hope it's good.

@rms1954  I ordered the combo last year and instead of warming in the oven I used my slow cooker. I don't remember how long I cooked it, but I liked the results, it seemed Jucier. Just a thought.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan