Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cook's Essentials cast iron set

[ Edited ]

I read the reviews, comments & questions/answers  from last year's set- K44773. It was the same price except the tsv dutch oven is a little bigger. I think the stainless handles are a change also. 

I'm not ordering- I'd expect them to be heavy since it's cast iron. Several people mentioned chipping. Woman Frustrated They also seem to stick a lot-  the questions/answers re: how to deal with that is too much work! Woman Sad I like to get in and out of the kitchen. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

What's the advantage here? We have a couple "real" cast iron pieces that are ideal for for pan-seared food, etc. You can crank up the heat; they are virtually indestructible.

This set today is not actually "nonstick," so that's not an advantage. And everybody is saying that they are heavy, so no advantage there.

Don't get me wrong, we have some Le Creuset and Staub ceramic cast iron for braising and love them, but I wouldn't want that for everyday cooking.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

Love cast iron but noticed they frying pan does not have a helper handle and the handles on the other items seem small to me.  I use my Lodge frying pans frequently but could not without a helper handle.  Too much rish of dropping and injury and worse the older I get. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am tempted (again) to order this set mainly for the skillet. I can't seem to get a good sear on a steak and have it cook thru on what I'm using now. Is this a good set? It's in my budget. I'm just uncertain if I need a cast iron pan for steak alone. Help!!!

Valued Contributor

They said there was another color that so!d out early. Just curious what color that was. This looks like a nice set especially for the price, but don't expect Le Creuset quality and longevity.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

They said there was another color that so!d out early. Just curious what color that was. This looks like a nice set especially for the price, but don't expect Le Creuset quality and longevity.

The color was a light gray.

the color was gray

Esteemed Contributor

I ordered the light blue, couldnt resist. I realize the pieces are heavy, but I will deal with it. The fact that they go in the oven sold me in the end. I cant wait to get the set! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

The TSV looks nice, but from my experience the CE cast is not as well made as it’s French version. it’s a much less expensive knock off.  It’s OK, but not as nice and looks awful if it is used often.

The white interior finish wears off exposing the gray cast iron under it.  I am attaching a picture where you can see where the white finish is wearing off.  It is also stained on the side walls..  The lid in the back is still white and like new.

i have two of these pans and they are both doing the same thing. They are still usable, but ugly.

AC04791E-2A5C-4421-A640-C6166014BDAA.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Wow that says a lot. Thanks for posting the photo. I bought a ceramic skillet, not cast iron, but I liked the idea of non stick ceramic. It worked beautilfully at first. But as I use the pan, it's staining, and I once used spray oil. Ugh left a horrible sain which took much scrubbing to get off. What does Le Creuset do that keeps that from happening, if it doesn't?