Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Contacted Barefoot Dreams, Can Hem Fabric.

[ Edited ]

I searched all over the internet and called QVC customer Service. I never could find an answer to this question.  They could not answer my question as to whether the material can be hemmed. So I contacted the Barefoot Dreams Company and right away they said the material can be hemmed. They also said the product  can not be returned or voids any other warranty. So that is a consideration. However, I have some cardigans that after weight loss are far too long on me. They were a long style to begin with. I also want to order the pants which will be too long. I know my inseam. I am somewhat of a seamstress and thought they might be able to be hemmed but I did not want to risk it until I checked. If you can't do it yourself or am concerned, I recommend taking it to alterations. This brand is on the higher end of price point for my budget, so unless you feel very comfortable yourself than get it done by a professional. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Contacted Barefoot Dreams, Can Hem Fabric.

Any knit seems to me to be a job for the experienced and even then wouldn't a hem of a BD be bulky?  I don't believe I've ever seen any pieces with hems.

Respected Contributor

@Seastarluv   I checked a pair of the pants on this site and it looks like they are hemmed but the sweaters aren't.  If the material is bulky, it will add a little bulk to the bottom, but if thin, it shouldn't be noticeable.

I would try to have one of the sweaters hemmed by a professional.  Then you can see how they did it, how it looks, and depending on your sewing skills, try it yourself.  It looks like the pants would be an easy hem, as long as you have a machine that can copy the same type of stitch.

I have several of their sweaters and would give it a try so you would be able to wear them again.

If they can't be hemmed, and you can't wear them, don't have anyone to give to, and as a last resort, you could cut them up and make a patchwork throw or pillows.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

If you are skilled you can try a double needle and stretchy thread.  I have done that on at home pants.  Better yet use a serger.  My mom swore blind heming was best for knits, but I can’t do that well.

Basically this is not a good idea.

Honored Contributor

I won't attempt any alternations on a knit fabric.   I'd rather pay the tailor to do the alterations.  

I only work on woven fabrics.

Valued Contributor

I am an experienced knitter.. Rather than sew a hem at the bottom, there are techniques to separate knitted fabric, pick up the newly freed stitches and either add a new rib or bind them off.Here is a video on the technique

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LexaMom

@millieshops

@CAcableGirl2

@Still Raining

@ALRATIBA

@

This is great advice.  I am going to take it to alterations. The two cardigans that I need done are the ones with the draped fronts A293849. Since I am 5'0" tall these were long on me anyways but now with weight loss the cardigans are much too long on me.  It is  just too long with the uneven draping.  I have this an oatmeal color cardigan in this style, It is an older version of this cardigan and I  also have  the newer version in  indigo. The oatmeal one has become my go to sweater I tend to put on around the house in the mornings or when I get cold, almost like a robe for me. It is the older one. Although still in good condition it is more aged so to say. So I think I will take this one in first to get alterations and see how it goes. Thank you, I have been considering this for a long time and needed the advice but ultimately I decided it was worth a try. I also saw that barefoot dreams also has a knit with a rolled edge. I am not sure these were finsihed off with a special hem anyways.  My cardigans tend to have the rolled edge look around the draped area. I noticed the older oatmeal one has it looks like a serged edge on the draping but the newer one has more of a knitted in finished edge. But it makes me feel good that a serger would work. 

Contributor

@LexaMom

I could not see the link to the video. 

Valued Contributor

The link is the last line of my post.  Highlight it.

Visitor

Im also 5’0”; it’s heartbreaking Barefoot doesn’t have petite sizes, considering this tricky fabric. I sent a cardigan to my tailor and he said it can be hemmed. He is afraid of cutting it; but I think now that a serger could be the answer. I’ll let you know how it went.