Honored Contributor

Confused about Barefoot Dreams fabric?

I was thinking that the idea of fabric formulated from bamboo was an interesting concept, but as I looked through the offerings being presented today, I found at least one polyester/spandex item and another of 100 % Polyester?

Not clear on what constitutes the designation "Barefoot Dreams"?

Honored Contributor

Re: Confused about Barefoot Dreams fabric?

[ Edited ]

I know that their so called "bamboo" fabric is not bamboo at all. It is RAYON  from bamboo. This means the mill made rayon from processing the bamboo tree and in the end there is NO bamboo left in the final product. This manufacturing practice is extremely toxic to our environment. I refuse to buy rayon from bamboo because of this. 

Rayon is considered a hybrid material. It falls between natural and synthetic. There is other vegetation used to make rayon (other forms of it)  as well but I am not familiar with that process or toxicity. 

For more information about RAYON and how it came to be visit:

swicofil dot com/viscose

The history behind it and how it got the name "rayon"...very interesting read.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee Your answer is actually much more interesting than my question!

Honored Contributor

@violann,

I'm sorry, I probably didn't help to answer your question. My post was sort of a rant about the brand.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee, @violann   You ladies are funny, I'm chuckling at your posts. 

Seriously though, seems to me that no one is extracting anything real or natural from bamboo called polyester, nylon, rayon or anything else of the like.

Yesterday I posted about the fabric this vendor made that cardi out of.  I've seen it in the marketplace and it's like a fuzzy loopy type design that snags & pulls very easily.  Their stuff is way expensive for what it is.

Honored Contributor

Bamboo can grow as fast at 3 ft. a day.........and is not in danger of being depleted.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Bamboo can grow as fast at 3 ft. a day.........and is not in danger of being depleted.    

@Desertdi,

Thankfully yes. Bamboo is abundant and a very sustainable source for many things. However, when it is used to make RAYON the process is very toxic to the environment. Many toxic chemicals are used to make rayon.

Honored Contributor

I love the feel of a genuine bamboo fabric - sooooffffft t-shirts and bedding.

Last week I was in Costco and an outside vendor was hawking these "processed bamboo" sheets. Not at all the same feel or value, no matter how much they'll try to convince you. I said I'd rather have real bamboo; he said it WAS real bamboo; I said not really and left. He wasn't selling anything much, either, at the prices.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

Rayon is a manufactured fiber made from regenerated cellulose fiber. The many types and grades of rayon can imitate the feel and texture of natural fibers such as silk, wool, cotton, and linen. The types that resemble silk are often called artificial silk. Wikipedia

Characteristics: Soft, Lightweight, Absorbent

Rayon is a petrochemical fabric. Only the cellulose from a plant, be it bamboo, corn, etc, is used.