Respected Contributor

Re: Carolyn, if you don't have a computer

@chrystaltree wrote:

Our dear friend George is 93, he is very active on FACEBOOK, he also loves his Kindle. He loves it and says that he feels like he's part of the world again.  He was 89 when he got his Kindle.  My daughters taught him the basics and after that he jumped right in. Don't assume that all seniors shy away from the modern world, many of them embrace it.  

George is the exception, God bless him.  Not the rule.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

I was watching when Carolyn said that and had the same thoughts as the O P. It was a weekend of bloopers and caused a lot of giggles. With everyone recovering from bad colds a few are out of sync and on medication. My favorite blooper was Lori and Shawn together. Shawn had trouble saying Shark Tank and twice called it Shank Tark. LOL.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

When the woman responded that she doesn't have a computer, there was something in her tone that told me she is not on any device anywhere -- not a laptop or tablet and not a computer at work.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I was just reading these postings and I read the opening thread and my first thought was how much better off we were without all these gadgets ... JMHO [and I am guilty of having all of these too] Smiley Indifferent

Respected Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I was just reading these postings and I read the opening thread and my first thought was how much better off we were without all these gadgets ... JMHO [and I am guilty of having all of these too] Smiley Indifferent

In what way?

For many of us that have family and friends miles away it lets people keep in touch.

The gadgets also help elderly and the disabled people shop online and get things they normally wouldn't be able to shop for.  They get to go "out" in the world and mingle with others where they wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Of course, there can be over use which can happen with anything.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

Really? The fact that you're posting on internet forums seems to contradict that claim. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I can't speak for @apple1964, but maybe she didn't mean her comment to be taken as a black-and-white statement.

The technology we love also has its darker side. Have you ever seen a couple of friends or a group walking down the street intent on their iPhones and not conversing with one another at all? Do our children who are so plugged in learn about all the nuances of face-to-face (no, I don't mean face time) conversation?

A couple days ago I watched a group leader of about twenty teen girls try to get them to cross a big street. It was hysterical. She had to shout to them to stop looking down at their phones.

So yes, great benefit but also some problematic issues as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Hi All....With my original post I was just commenting on how "we" don't really listen to each other.   Happens all the time. 

The caller stated she was a widow, with no children, so her puppy was her family and when told she could always go find something on QVC.com, she replied she did not have a computer.  She was then asked to e-mail a picture of her puppy.

I think there must be a lot of pressure to sell on tv for hours on end.