Esteemed Contributor

Re: Calista Styler TSV 12/14

I have two of these.  I bought one for a back up in case somehing happens to one.  I like it so much better than a flat iron.  

I have curly hair and I can straighten it with this.  HTH

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have two calista brushes. One is the blow dry brush and the other a styler. They both still work. This looks appealing. I may try
Esteemed Contributor

@tend2dogs. Thanks for the info
Honored Contributor

I might be interested if they came out with a mini version I could just use on my bangs as my perm grows out.  I'm at that stage right now and won't be getting another perm until mid FEB.

Trusted Contributor

If they sold 127,000 before, why are there no reviews? Such a big price drop and no reviews is a red flag for me. (clearance?). LOTS of the "sales" the Q has been showing are either the regular price they always sold at, disguised by making the previous price higher, and much has really been clearance sold at the regular price.

I have one similar (not triangle shaped) from HSN. The hairdresser that stars with an M and gives his cell phone number out so people can call him if they need help or have questions. Martino! That's his name Smiley Happy

I LOVE his styler. The trick to using these is two-fold. You have to make sure your hair is pulled down into the heating element as it sits lower than the top, and also, only using small amounts of hair then going very slowly down the hair shaft. If you want to flip it or curl it at the end then you just wait until you get there. If you try a big clump of hair it won't go down into the heating element right and the straightening won't be as good.

I have annoying hair. It is long, but it is not straight, nor is it curly. It has waves, but only where it wants to wave, and not everywhere. Very aggravating. I can use his and I can straighten my hair, get all the waves out and it comes out so shiny. What I like the most is that it stays straight until I wash my hair again. Usually you get it straight then go to bed and it is not straight when you get up.

I am not sure about Calista's but it looks identical to the one I have (minus the triangle part). Temp is the same range. Mine does get very, very hot inside on the element so I have to be careful to use a hair protector. Other than that it works really well. I have had mine for about 3 years and it is still going good.

Calista's brand looks thin and smaller by a tiny bit so maybe hers would work for semi-short hair. Neither Martino's or Calista's would work for VERY short hair (like a pixie cut length) due to the fact that you have to hold the ends of your hair and pull it down into the heating coils, so that would be the one length that I would beware of.

Super Contributor

After reading that "Use on dry hair only" that was a dealbreaker for me.  I have wavy hair & I have to get it straightened before it dries.

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Hmmmmm, your comments have me considering this.

My curly hair is mostly out of control these days so I have been using my spin brush.  But, I need a way to get some lift....

Thinking about it...

Esteemed Contributor

@gabstoomuch 

Do you have the Martono's "Forever Your Curl" tool?

I bought it months ago and just starting to use it.

Your comments about HOW to use it really helped me, although I finally figured out how to slide it through and not pull my hair out Cat LOL

My problem is my hair does NOT want to hold a curl.  It is naturally curly, but in an unattractive way.  So, I use my Spin Brush, then the Forever Your Curl.

My husband said my hair looked like Pat Benetar's and he liked it.  However, I would like a little more lift and curl.

Trying to master that technique.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gabstoomuch wrote:

If they sold 127,000 before, why are there no reviews? Such a big price drop and no reviews is a red flag for me. (clearance?). LOTS of the "sales" the Q has been showing are either the regular price they always sold at, disguised by making the previous price higher, and much has really been clearance sold at the regular price.

I have one similar (not triangle shaped) from HSN. The hairdresser that stars with an M and gives his cell phone number out so people can call him if they need help or have questions. Martino! That's his name Smiley Happy

I LOVE his styler. The trick to using these is two-fold. You have to make sure your hair is pulled down into the heating element as it sits lower than the top, and also, only using small amounts of hair then going very slowly down the hair shaft. If you want to flip it or curl it at the end then you just wait until you get there. If you try a big clump of hair it won't go down into the heating element right and the straightening won't be as good.

I have annoying hair. It is long, but it is not straight, nor is it curly. It has waves, but only where it wants to wave, and not everywhere. Very aggravating. I can use his and I can straighten my hair, get all the waves out and it comes out so shiny. What I like the most is that it stays straight until I wash my hair again. Usually you get it straight then go to bed and it is not straight when you get up.

I am not sure about Calista's but it looks identical to the one I have (minus the triangle part). Temp is the same range. Mine does get very, very hot inside on the element so I have to be careful to use a hair protector. Other than that it works really well. I have had mine for about 3 years and it is still going good.

Calista's brand looks thin and smaller by a tiny bit so maybe hers would work for semi-short hair. Neither Martino's or Calista's would work for VERY short hair (like a pixie cut length) due to the fact that you have to hold the ends of your hair and pull it down into the heating coils, so that would be the one length that I would beware of.

This is why it is good to have options.  I had one from HSN - Martinos, was a return for me. It wasn't the Paula Abdul one, but an earlier model he had a couple years ago. I like this one very much. I happen to have long, curly hair if that helps anyone reading this. 

Happy you found what works for you and the same for me. Woman WinkWoman Happy Win, win!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman If you aren't happy with the look you are getting now, it might be worth giving it a try.  I realize that to try something on QVC ends up costing you about $12 o $13. Woman Sad

I don't get pin straight hair from this, or any flat iron for that matter.  I don't really want that look anyway, at least not at 68 years old LOL.  It affords me to give direction to my hair and to give me a smoothed out look for something different.  My hair on my crown is not curly.  This iron does give lift.  HTH

@Icegoddess   I use this on my bangs.  I don't know if a travel size would be much less than $59.  I have seen the posts of your hair (gorgeous BTW) and I am thinking that you are not looking at using something like this for your whole head?