Respected Contributor

Calista StyleDryer and Diffuser - the Curly Girl penalty fee

[ Edited ]

The StyleDryer TSV comes with FIVE attachments, almost all for straight hair, and I have to spend $25.50 for an additional diffuser because I have curly hair and choose not to wear it straight.

I don't use a round brush or a paddle brush and that pulse thing and the concentrator would blow the curls right out of my hair. Maria even took an African American model and had her blow her curls out, saying "Those of you with curly hair or a perm and you want to get more of a salon style, this was done with the round brush." No, QVC, just... no. Stop telling women with curls that we need to blow them out. ESPECIALLY stop telling this to women of color.

I really wish there was an option for curlies to get the dryer with the diffuser instead of making us pay extra to get a diffuser and 4 attachments we may never use. And you don't even have a video demo of the curly diffuser. 

"You get everything you need in this kit today!" ~Carolyn.  

No, I don't. I get everything you need. I have to pay extra for what I need.

Respected Contributor

Re: Calista StyleDryer and Diffuser - the Curly Girl penalty fee

Alison, I hear you, it’s very frustrating- I have difficult wavy, curly, frizz-prone hair and it sure seems textured, ethnic, curly hair types are often ignored by vendors, or else the products don’t work, so they don’t market them to us.  I guess it’s an easy way to save money! 

Contributor

5 cuRe: Calista StyleDryer and Diffuser - the Curly Girl penalty fee

25 dollars for an extra diffuser attachment is really steep!  I took a chance on this TSV, I hope I like it.  I have read a few reviews on Amazon where folks have had trouble with the mechanism that secures the attachments breaking.  Fingers crossed.

Regular Contributor

Re: 5 cuRe: Calista StyleDryer and Diffuser - the Curly Girl penalty fee

I have one of these that is a Conair ( $30.00) and yes, the little mechanism that holds the attachments on doesn't work well after a few uses.  It doesn't break so to speak, it's like it wears out, for lack of a better explanation, and the brush attachment comes off when I use little pressure when styling my hair.  I was excited when I saw this because I really like how my hair looks after styling with the round brush attachment I have on the Conair but when I looked at the picture online this Calista looks EXACTLY the same as the one I have so I won't be spending twice the amount for the same problem.

Contributor

I did order this yesterday, however, I have the same concerns. I wasn’t interested in the paddle brush which seemed appropriate for long hair. I asked the question on Carolyn Gracie’s Facebook page and I was told the brush can be used for shorter hair as well..

i have shorter, curly hair that tends to frizz.  I wanted the diffuser but was informed it would not be included and was an extra charge....

ill give it it a try.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

The StyleDryer TSV comes with FIVE attachments, almost all for straight hair, and I have to spend $25.50 for an additional diffuser because I have curly hair and choose not to wear it straight.

I don't use a round brush or a paddle brush and that pulse thing and the concentrator would blow the curls right out of my hair. Maria even took an African American model and had her blow her curls out, saying "Those of you with curly hair or a perm and you want to get more of a salon style, this was done with the round brush." No, QVC, just... no. Stop telling women with curls that we need to blow them out. ESPECIALLY stop telling this to women of color.

I really wish there was an option for curlies to get the dryer with the diffuser instead of making us pay extra to get a diffuser and 4 attachments we may never use. And you don't even have a video demo of the curly diffuser. 

"You get everything you need in this kit today!" ~Carolyn.  

No, I don't. I get everything you need. I have to pay extra for what I need.

Amen to that @Alison Wonderland !!  If they could include the pulse thing and concentrator, they could have included a diffuser for maintaining our beautiful curls while we dry our hair.  I would have been tempted, since that root lifter attachment would be good for my natural curl wash & go's. 

Adding just one more attachment would then have made it "everything you need in the kit."

Honored Contributor

I looked at it and said "where's the diffuser?".  Really though, I wouldn't care for a product where you change out attachments specifically because I think that attachment point is the weak point of the device and the most likely place to break.  Then, you're stuck with a bunch of attachments you can't use.

The diffuser never comes off my dryer at home.  However, my travel dryer goes with me not only on out of town trips, but to the hairdresser, and I do take it apart and fold it for that.  Of course, I have had pieces break off of it, and I'm now looking for a new one to buy hopefully before the diffuser breaks enough so that it will no longer stay on it.