Honored Contributor

@hippiechick7897 wrote:

I don’t want thread hi-jack but the timing of this couldn’t be funnier.

Any suggestions for how to prepare asparagus for a side dish?  Ijust purchased it yesterday for the first time and I’m not sure what to do with it.

I’ve only had it twice before and it was from restaurants ages ago.

@hippiechick7897 

I drizzle w/ EVOO and roast w/ garlic.  Sprinkle a little shredded parm b4 serving.

I almost never boil/steam veggies.  I like them roasted esp. asparagus because I dislike mushy veggies.

However, my fav way is doing the above and smoking them!  YUMMY

Honored Contributor

Even if I wanted to save the cost by getting the asparagus ends off, I don't think I could in the store!

I always need a sharp knife to cut the bottoms off!

Esteemed Contributor

Is asparagus the TSV?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@VirgoGirl Honest question I've always wanted the answer to - and your posting is perfect timing..............

Why do people weigh (grapes) or whatever before putting in cart?  They get weighed at check-out

If it's for cost - gee   how much difference in price will the grapes be if you have 15 more grapes on the vine instead of 12?

I'm a grab & go shopper    LOL

@fthunt 

I can think of 2 reasons why...

My mom always weighed because she wanted to know how much it was going to cost her.

My DH always weighs AND labels in the produce dept. cuz he says it makes the checkout go faster since the cashier doesn't have to do it.  Just scan.

I am lazy and do neither!   LOL  If I want it, I buy it...and grumble about the cost later!

Cherries always give me sticker shock at the checkout!

Honored Contributor

If broccoli is priced with the stems on, if you break off the crowns only, that's theft.

You can certainly buy the crowns only, but they are higher than buying it by the whole stalk.  Eye of prime rib costs more per pound then the whole rib piece per pound.  That's the way it works. That's how pricing works. 

Regular Contributor

@fthunt  I weigh my items because it's quicker at the checkout. Most checkers have to look up the code for items which takes longer.  The date is also listed on the tag so I can see how long I have it when at home.  As far as removing the grapes I think it's just someone who is being "thrifty".

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes you want the amount required for a specific recipe.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

I have a strange question.  When you cook asparagus, you will trim off the bottom hard stalk and cook them  whatever way you cook them.  So, my question is do you think when buying them we should be able to break off the bottom part and only weigh what you are actually going to eat.  It seems silly to pay based on weight for parts you are just going to throw away. 

@joann1218  With that thinking, why aren't we coring apples and peeling oranges before we go to the checkout?  I think someone else might have already mentioned bananas. 

I'm finally getting used to the outer leaves of cabbage being all over that produce area.  I understand the reasoning, but really...how much do a couple of outer leaves weight?

And don't forget the weight of the produce bag. *eyeroll*

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you ladies for your replies re:  weighing produce ahead of time.  Saving time at the check-out - - I find it hard to keep up with our cashiers - I'm pulling stuff out of cart - and they are actually waiting for more.  zip - zip - zip   LOL

Honored Contributor

We don’t have scales in the produce dept. don’t know why.