Regular Contributor

I have a strange question.  When you cook asparagus, you will trim off the bottom hard stalk and cook them  whatever way you cook them.  So, my question is do you think when buying them we should be able to break off the bottom part and only weigh what you are actually going to eat.  It seems silly to pay based on weight for parts you are just going to throw away. 

Honored Contributor

@joann1218 -

That would certainly be nice wouldn't it? The same with broccoli!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@joann1218 -

That would certainly be nice wouldn't it? The same with broccoli!

@on the bay  Yeah, you’re right. Those broccoli stems are heavy. I peel and cook them. They are quite tasty.

Honored Contributor

We throw away parts of many vegetables, most in fact.  Do you think we ought to buy a potato already peeled, a squash already seeded, a banana peeled?  Insist the rind be removed from a watermelon?

I think your suggestion is kind of off-the-wall.  Not going to happen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor
No. Would you peel your bananas before you buy them because you don’t eat the peel? A lot of produce has bits you won’t eat.
Honored Contributor

In a similar vein, weigh your produce out of the plastic bag, so you don't end up paying for the bag - lightweight though it is.

Respected Contributor

We aren't just paying for the part of produce we're about to eat, we're paying for these items to be cultivated, handled and transported,  to be available for our tables. It's kinda like S&H Woman Wink.   

Respected Contributor

Not sure, but would it effect the freshness of the product if you weren't going to cook it right away?  I've also seen cooking shows where the asparagus stems are peeled rather than broken off. 

Regular Contributor

Was shopping one day and was waiting to weigh prouce at scale and gentleman at scale was plucking grapes off the vine so he wouldn't have to pay for the vine.  Spoke to worker in produce and she said yes you are allowed to do that. Worst of it was he just left the stems right next to scale.

Esteemed Contributor

I make a lot of soup, and use the stems for adding flavor to my stocks; asparagus and broccoli. I use shrimp shells for seafood stock, and peach and apricot peels to make jelly. My grandmother would tell me horror stories about The Great Depression and sometimes being hungry, and taught me to to minimize kitchen waste.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖