Honored Contributor

I really didn't need another vacuum , but when I heard the product was made in the US I thought I'd help them out. I listened a little closer and the product is not made in the states ,it's assembled in Tennessee, not the same thing. I canceled my order. Thanks Kirsten for mentioning it.

Trusted Contributor

The term Made in the USA has a specific legal meaning as does Assembled in the US. Made in the USA does not mean that the entire product was actually made here. And "US" also includes territories and possessions not just the 50 states. Territories and possessions include: Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Midway Island, Wake Island, Palmyra Island, Howland Island, Johnston Island, Baker Island, Kingman Reef, and Jarvis Island.

From the FTC:

<h3 style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 1.308em; line-height: 1.3; margin: 0px 0px 0.308em; color: #244873; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif;"> What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?</h3>

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

<h3 style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 1.308em; line-height: 1.3; margin: 0px 0px 0.308em; color: #244873; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif;"> What does "all or virtually all" mean?</h3>

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

<h3 style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 1.308em; line-height: 1.3; margin: 0px 0px 0.308em; color: #244873; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif;"> What factors does the Commission consider to determine whether a product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.?</h3>

The product’s final assembly or processing must take place in the U.S. The Commission then considers other factors, including how much of the product’s total manufacturing costs can be assigned to U.S. parts and processing, and how far removed any foreign content is from the finished product. In some instances, only a small portion of the total manufacturing costs are attributable to foreign processing, but that processing represents a significant amount of the product’s overall processing. The same could be true for some foreign parts. In these cases, the foreign content (processing or parts) is more than negligible, and, as a result, unqualified claims are inappropriate.

Example: A company produces propane barbecue grills at a plant in Nevada. The product’s major components include the gas valve, burner and aluminum housing, each of which is made in the U.S. The grill’s knobs and tubing are imported from Mexico. An unqualified Made in USA claim is not likely to be deceptive because the knobs and tubing make up a negligible portion of the product’s total manufacturing costs and are insignificant parts of the final product.

Example: A table lamp is assembled in the U.S. from American-made brass, an American-made Tiffany-style lampshade, and an imported base. The base accounts for a small percent of the total cost of making the lamp. An unqualified Made in USA claim is deceptive for two reasons: The base is not far enough removed in the manufacturing process from the finished product to be of little consequence and it is a significant part of the final product.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info Scotnovel, but it doesn't change my mind about buying this particular product.

Super Contributor

But at least part of the work is done in the US, as compared to products totally made in China

Esteemed Contributor

The vendor (Tom Oreck) did state that the parts were "sourced internationally". From what I've seen, this is not an uncommon practice. I've had a Riccar vacuum, and they very proudly show photos of the US factories, but stamped on the machine is the same verbiage about the origin of the parts.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Same goes for dog food. Label may say made in the U.S., but where did the actual ingredients (chicken, rice, etc.) come from?

Esteemed Contributor

There was so much talk about Oreck going out of business, I'd be more concerned about that!

Respected Contributor
On 2/28/2015 ibb38 said:

There was so much talk about Oreck going out of business, I'd be more concerned about that!

my first oreck is well over 10 years old and is still going strong I love it.
Regular Contributor

I bought an Oreck a few years back from QVC, it tuned out to be a bucket of bolts. A piece of junk to say the least. Never again.

Trusted Contributor

When my vacuum bites the dust, I'm getting a Shark from BB&B with the 20% coupon.