Contributor

Bose Wave IV TSV - any suggestions before I pack it up and send it back?

I purchased the Bose Wave IV to stream music from external sources as discussed in all of the QVC "infomercials" during TSV day. I purchased the PAWW bluetooth receiver to enable this. I hooked it up according to instructions and no sound would play when I paired it with my android phone pandora app, nor when paired with my IPAD. I also plugged in my Alexa Echo to the AUX in and the sound quality was abominable with sound only coming out of one speaker on the Bose no matter what type of music I streamed. I'm thinking the AUX in on the unit isn't working properly and this is a mighty price to pay for a faulty unit. Otherwise the sound is amazing when I play a CD or the radio. But if it's not functioning in the way it was presented that it could be used, it's of no use to me. I'm wondering if audiophiles out there have any suggestions before I pack everything up and send it back.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bose Wave IV TSV - any suggestions before I pack it up and send it back?

@Tall Nurse 1.  Before packing it up, I'd call Bose tech support, describe the problem and ask for advice.  There could be a simple fix or it could be defective.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

hello

my husband purchased a Bose system several years ago thru QVC. It worked maybe 2 weeks and darn thing quit. We spent a fortune on this system. I can not remember what we did with the Bose system. I think my husband contacted Qvc to find out returning it for replacement. Nope could not do it. We had a Bose system that was broken, it was good money down the drain. I would never ever purchase a Bose system from anyone again. My husband picked up pieces and parts from different sound system places and we have a wow system in our house now that has lasted us many years. Good luck with your return.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tall Nurse 1   I started a new post over in the Electronics Forum requesting that two of our forum gentleman friends who understand electronics @gardenman and @hckynut might offer assistance to you over here.

The suggestion someone made regarding calling Bose is a good one, too.  To my knowledge, from friends that have the system for years they stand behind their products.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

@Tall Nurse 1  If it were me I would send it back and head to Best Buy!  You shouldn't have to jump through hoops with such an expensive purchase. I learned the hard way not to buy electronics from a shopping channel. I'm sure many have had a good experience but not me.  So disappointing but perhaps take @Kachina624  suggestion and try to call Boise support, I hope it works out for you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tall Nurse 1

Does this system use a custom Bose app to help with setup ? There maybe two apps an iPad and an Android.

You will find the service manual for this device on the Bose site. This may help.

I would then call Bose.

Honored Contributor

@Tall Nurse 1 wrote:

I purchased the Bose Wave IV to stream music from external sources as discussed in all of the QVC "infomercials" during TSV day. I purchased the PAWW bluetooth receiver to enable this. I hooked it up according to instructions and no sound would play when I paired it with my android phone pandora app, nor when paired with my IPAD. I also plugged in my Alexa Echo to the AUX in and the sound quality was abominable with sound only coming out of one speaker on the Bose no matter what type of music I streamed. I'm thinking the AUX in on the unit isn't working properly and this is a mighty price to pay for a faulty unit. Otherwise the sound is amazing when I play a CD or the radio. But if it's not functioning in the way it was presented that it could be used, it's of no use to me. I'm wondering if audiophiles out there have any suggestions before I pack everything up and send it back.

I just added a Bluetooth receiver to my home theater system (not a PAWW one but an Esinkin BT Adapter) and it's great. Obvious trouble-shooting points are, is Bluetooth enabled on your phone? (I know, silly question, but I have to ask.) You can check on an Android phone by swiping down from the top and checking the Bluetooth symbol. If it is activated, then go to settings on the phone and check "connected devices" to see if it's paired with your PAWW receiver. (I have three things paired with mine, the Esinkin BT Adapter, my DOSS Soundbox portable speaker, and the earbuds that came with my new phone.) If both of those are all okay (BT activated and your PAWW adapter connected) then check the power and connections to the PAWW Adapter. If your Echo can make sound through the Bose radio then the phone should be able to make sound through the Bose. Which brings up an interesting question.

How did you connect your Echo to the Bose? Did you use a cable or Bluetooth? If Bluetooth then you know the Bluetooth Adapter works, or worked then. If you used a cable then the Bluetooth Adapter could be the issue. My suspicion is that something else is getting in the way since you get no sound from the Bose when you try to play music on it through your phone and the Bluetooth adapter. The adapter may think it's connected to something else and you'll need to disconnect it from that before it''ll connect to your phone. Maybe? If you connected to the Echo by Bluetooth it may still prefer to be connected to the Echo instead of your phone. Does your Bluetooth adapter have any lights or indicators of any kind? Mine glows blue when on and flashes when pairing. If there are no lights on the adapter then it may not have power.

Those are some things to try. If nothing works, post back and I'll see what else you can try. It's often something simple though that you just overlook.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

I want to thank you for the time you took to reply to my dilemma. I'm fairly saavy with tech stuff and read all directions and follow them to the letter.  The PAWW is a bluetooth receiver and I tried several devices with it.  Each time I have connected a bluetooth device to it I have received a verbal confirmation from the Bose that it is receiving the signal - but still no audio from the source,  I've tried my Audible app, Pandora app, alexa app using 2 android phones as my IPAD and zip --nothing.  I did connect the Echo directly into the AUX IN source with the 3.5 mm converter cable  and did get weak audio from only one speaker and truthfully the vocals receded into the background and the instrumental was up front. That just isn't right..  I checked the Bose website troubleshooting page and it was suggested with this issue that factory service could be required.  I'm fairly certain it's AN AUXILLARY INPUT issue or it may be the PAWW.  I'm going to call PAWW CS tomorrow..  Truthfully, I just pretty deflated with the entire issue.  I have always wanted a Bose system and truly looked forward to good things.  But I've lost my enthusiasm for dealing with it. I'll give it one more try in the morning.

Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

@Tall Nurse 1   Just curious--did you have connectivity success or did you decide to return it?  I am so helpless tech/electronic-wise so I always feel for others that hit these roadblocks and it sounds like you have lots more knowledge about this stuff than I do so it must be even more frustrating when a new item like this doesn't work as expected.

Have a great weekend,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Contributor

After speaking with tech support at Bose, I was advised to return as defective. Thanks for everyone's comments!