Trusted Contributor

How secure is a security camera that has a "clip for easy instillation" ? Wouldn't it be just as easy for an intruder to disable/steal the device?

dee

Occasional Contributor

I have done some research on the product and the reviews are mostly favorable.  You able to mount them so they are not too visible and I guess if someone takes it - you have it on video.  Not sure how comforting that is. 

One issue I found was customer service/support.  Apparently is it non-existent.  Multiple complaints on not being able to get help - calls never returned - just not good customer service.

New Contributor

First, let me assure you that I have no connection with Blink other than as a happy customer.  I have 5 indoor and 5 outdoor(XT) Blink cams.  I have had the indoor for almost 2 years with no major problems.  I was one of the first to get the XT's and they are just great!  I am ordering this TSV because at this price I can't resist.  There is no way/place to get them cheaper.  It's a great deal.  

As far as customer service the few times I have contacted them via email for advice or a (small) problem I have received replies within hours.  They now have phone in support.  I used it once because I was having an app problem.  The rep had to escalate it and I received a call back from the developer the next morning. Problem solved.  Blink is very customer oriented, in my opinion.

My advice: buy them.  What the heck, you have until the end of Jan to decide to keep them or not. I hope this helps you to make a decision.

Respected Contributor

I have been considering this system too. I have a security/alarm system through a company that I pay about $45.00/month for monitoring.  When I do invest in a camera and recording system I will still keep my security company, but this adds in video proof if something were to happen.

QVC's price is about $50 less than other retail prices, so it is a great deal.  I have read the reviews.  There are still some issues that make me a bit cautious.  Three main complaints:

1.  The mounting bracket is flimsy and not flexible.  This makes it a problem to adjust the angle once installed. 

2.  Many complain that customer service needs improvement and contact is done mainly by email.

3. It is hard to adjust the system for sensitivity levels and people were getting too many alerts of motion detection.

There is a Blink forum somewhere on the web that many users find helpful, I didn't check it out though.

Even though this exact system gets an overall favorable review, I am going to wait for the new and improved version. Hopefully the company will work on a more substantial mounting bracket that will allow the camera more flexibility.  I do not want to put more than one hole per camera in my home's exterior.

Valued Contributor

I have the Ring doorbell. I have been watching the Blink presentation and decided Ring is better. Ring make a floodlight/camera setup for outside your house. What I like about Ring, it gives a audible sound so I can hear it when my phone is in my purse or pocket. I don't believe this Blink gives a audible alert.

Last night I woke up with the alert at 2:15 am. I got so nervous, grabbed my phone and hit the Ring alert and it showed the front of my house. The night vision is unbelievable, looks like daylight. I kept watching the video as I didn't see anyone by my door but suddenly I saw a possum walking along my walkway.

I was laying in bed and would not have waked up unless there was a sound alert.

Blink only sends a text message. That would not have woke me up.

Plus with Ring I can speak to whoever is at my door and I can hear what they say.

Ring costs more, I think I paid $129.00 for the doorbell, but I am considering getting their floodlights with cameras.

I didn't order the Blink.

Honored Contributor

I posted on one of these Blink subjects just yesterday, I believe.

My friend came over yesterday and hooked up some more Blink cameras (now I have 10 of them).

Anyway, my reason for posting (sorry, I know I'm boring) is to talk about the interesting things the Blink camera picks up late at night.

I used to see lots of deer in my yard but lately I have been telling my friend I never see them.

Well, after she put up more cameras last night it captured maybe 4 or 5 baby deer walking in the yard past the cameras.  The time stamp said 4 and 5 in the morning (still dark).

I've always known there is a family of red foxes in the area, but until last night I'd not seen them.

Cats!  You betcha!  Several cats.  Lots of squirrels all day long.  A few things (varmits) that don't even look familiar.

So, I'm excited to see if I see Sasquatch walking around my yard.  I'll let you guys know if he/she turns up.

Does anyone know if Sasquatch is the same as Big Foot?  I guess I'll investigate that if and when (?) he/she shows up!

I think I'd better start a money jar for all of the batteries I'm going to need if the varmits keep coming and setting off the camera.

I have a new project now though.  My friend down the street has two hawks she feeds.  I've been saving old food for her.  I just donated to her pile broccoli, carrots and other veggies (all raw).  

Just as she was telling me I looked upward and they were flying overhead.  She said, "They're waiting for food.  I'll be sure to tell them the food came from you".

I'm thinking, "That works.  But I don't want them in my yard.  I'll stick to feeding the deer (lettuce, etc) and more light-hearted varmits!"

Honored Contributor

I almost called in yesterday to tell the Vendor about all of the Blink things she never mentioned.

There are so many things.  I know people who put them in the laundry room because they travel constantly and are afraid their hot water heater is going to leak or explode (they actually had that happen to someone they know).

You can use your iphone and check on the temperature in the Blink room inside and outside.

If the air conditioner goes out in July or August and someone comes in to feed your cats every other day or something (whatever) you can go to the Blink camera and check on the temperature.

Many people go to warmer climates in the Winter.  You can check the temp in the Winter to make sure the heat is still on low so the pipes don't burst.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the cameras.  You can adjust just about everything on the cameras.

She never mentioned any of that.  She just kept saying the same thing all day long.  I keep the TV on in one end of the house so I saw her on many, many times.

But when I finally got the idea "I'm going to call" I saw it was Rick and I'm sorry but he makes me crazy (talking a lot) so I didn't call in.

Incidentally, I think I might have mentioned I have 10 of them mostly outside of my house.  I have ADT and Nest (so I can talk to my cats) inside of my house.

Regular Contributor

if your water heater explodes what are you suppose to do about it? I am against cameras in my house, invasion of privacy 

Respected Contributor

@Graydoxiechick if you notice that happened while you are away maybe you can call someone and have it repaired. I have a cousin who lives me and has a key so if this happened to me while I was away she would be able to let a repairman in and repair the heater.