Valued Contributor

Re: Blink XT 4-Pack Wire-Free HD Weatherproof Wi-Fi Camera w/ Night Vision

@tends2dogs wrote:

Thanks for your quick response, @Starliteshine.  The TracPhones are smartphones so we are hoping it will work.  One last question (I hope), is it motion that triggers the recording?  Like outside when someone approaches your door, does that initiate the recording and alert to your phone? 

For the ones you use indoors to monitor your pets, do you just go to your phone and are able to watch their activity?  As you can tell, we are extremely tech illiterate.

TA

LOL I am tech illiterate too! Yes, motion triggers the recording. You can set the sensitivity and length of video clip. All settings are done through the app. I am looking at mine right now, I have mine set for 20 seconds of recording but can move it to 60 seconds of recording. There is also a retrigger option meaning the camera will start recording again after 10 seconds if motion is still detected. Another feature I like is the ability to set recordings to stop if motion stops. When the cameras pick up activity I receive a notification alert on my phone screen telling me which camera detects activity. I believe I can turn it on for an audible chime through my app settings on my phone, but I just have it set for silent. I can click on the alert and view immediately or wait until later. If I ignore the alert the Blink app will show a number for how many new videos to view. To watch my pets I just click on the little movie camera in the Blink App to go to a live view. If I catch them doing something cute it has a little camera icon to snap a live picture. If your Tracphone is a smart phone, I would think it should work as long as you can download apps on the phone. Like I said, I call myself an electronic dummy and this kind of stuff intimidates me. This is so simple to set up and use. Don't feel bad about asking questions. I will try to help if I can. I will pop in a few more times today to see if you have anymore questions. 

Valued Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@Starliteshine & @tends2dogs  Thanks!  I didn't think about the Wi-FI.  If it would record via bluetooth, it would be okay.  I'll have to do some research.

@ItsME I don't know anything about bluetooth recording other than using it to pair devices. Any local Hot Spots in the area? I don't know how reliable they are, but I know my sister is too cheap to pay for internet and relies on Hot Spots. Now that I think about it, I know she bought the Blink set back in December too. I will have to ask her if she is having any problems using a Hot Spot for internet. 

Respected Contributor

@Starliteshine  No hotspots that I know of.  The best I can think of is to see if any neighbors would let us connect to their wifi.  Unfortunately, this probably won't work.

Valued Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@Starliteshine & @tends2dogs  Thanks!  I didn't think about the Wi-FI.  If it would record via bluetooth, it would be okay.  I'll have to do some research.

Now I am curious @ItsME and I am not tech savvy, how would blue tooth work with recording? Like I said, I just use bluetooth to pair devices or in this case, the cameras to the sync module. Both have bluetooth and automatically recognize each other. I am sitting her thinking about bluetooth and how a device could record using bluetooth. I am confused. Help me understand and learn something new. Thank you!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience with blink. I do have a question I would like to ask. I thought they said the range was 20 feet but the description said 100 feet.  Can anyone clarify that. The distance I would like to mount a camera would be about 27 feet facing toward the door, so if the range is 20 feet I don’t think it would work for me.  Thanks for your help.

Esteemed Contributor

@Starliteshine  Yes, we can download apps on our TracPhones.  My husband is concerned this will use up our data when we check on the house.  Oh well, we have 30 days to find all of this out.

Did I hear this right - last night I thought I heard them say that you can check your house temperature with this device.  Is that correct? 

I probably should sit down and watch another presentation before midnight.  I hope the videos will be available after tomorrow. 

Also, I didn't purchase the protection plan.   Hope we don't end up needing it.

TA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

@tends2dogs, I am not tech savvy but I am a long time Tracfone customer and my phone can do anything that everyone else's smart phone can do, at least anything I've ever tried. I did not get this tsv but they had on prime day, one of the Blink XT's for $75 so it basically worked out to the exact same price. I ordered one but have not gotten it yet because it's backordered. But not once have I worried my Tracfone can't handle it. It will work just fine, I am sure of that! Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @Qgirl26.  Do you think it will use up minutes.......data   ???   when checking your alerts or just plain ole monitoring?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Can both my Husband and I have the app on phone and get the notifications??  Didn't see full presentation wondering if this is possible?

I am thinking of ordering this system....

Valued Contributor

@kathybnc2 wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience with blink. I do have a question I would like to ask. I thought they said the range was 20 feet but the description said 100 feet.  Can anyone clarify that. The distance I would like to mount a camera would be about 27 feet facing toward the door, so if the range is 20 feet I don’t think it would work for me.  Thanks for your help.

I am not sure about the distance because mine are mounted on house. If I remember correctly, they advertise up to 100 feet from the sync module. Keep in mind your internet signal. I think they would work IF you have a good internet signal. I have a really good internet signal at my house. I can go out in my yard and walk out to the street and stay on my Wifi. The opposite is true for my neighbor. They lose their Wifi as soon as they walk out to their deck.