Trusted Contributor

Birthday gift for 93 yr old woman?

My good friend died and I occasionally visit her mother who is a shut-in. Her vision isn't great, so I can't give her a book. She is overweight, so candy isn't a good option either. And she doesn't need clothes since she only leaves her house to visit the doctor.  Looking for suggestions for her upcoming birthday.

Respected Contributor

Re: Birthday gift for 93 yr old woman?

Gift card to a local grocery store or pharmacy .
Books of stamps
If you know her well enough - a stock of supplies for ex. tissues, toilet paper, paper towels, cereal, soup, etc.
Occasional Contributor

A  nice throw would be nice, even though it is summer. I gave one to a friend for Christmas and she uses it almost daily. She is a dialysis patient and always cold.

Trusted Contributor

My mom is 91 and hard to shop for. She said everyone sends her blankets, so I just send food. She likes cheryls cookies and nuts. For christmas i am sending juniors mini cheesecake sampler, A48216. She doesn't eat out often, so she really likes it when she gets different stuff to try. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

My mom is 91 and hard to shop for. She said everyone sends her blankets, so I just send food. She likes cheryls cookies and nuts. For christmas i am sending juniors mini cheesecake sampler, A48216. She doesn't eat out often, so she really likes it when she gets different stuff to try. Good luck!

OOps just read about candy, sorry!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lost my grandmother 2 years ago at age 97.  She lived in the nursing home the last 5 years of her life.  Mostly she enjoyed visits from people.  She kept a little guest book and we would talk about her visits with others. She liked to talk!  She did enjoy listening to music and also liked it when people that visited would read out loud to her.  So my suggestion is maybe a book on tape or music if her hearing is good.  You are sweet to brighten her day!

Trusted Contributor

Last year, I bought my 93-year old neighbor, who was in an assisted living facility, a reversible throw. One side felt like sherpa, and the other was a velvety feel.  She loved it as she was always cold.  It got to the point where she put in on her bed.  Like someone pointed out, you would need to make sure that she doesn't have a dozen blankets.  Another item that I was going to buy her was the small lamp that Valerie Parr Hill has (for years, including this weekend).  I thought that it would be great to have some light in the room at night. 

Also, music was a big part of her day.  Does she have a CD player, and does she have any CDs from home? 

Does she have a frig in her room?  Any special items that she would like and doesn't get to enjoy?  When my dad was in an AS living facility, one of his grandsons called one of the few local bakeries that made strudel and had some ordered for my dad.  It was one of the BEST presents as my dad loved strudel.

Respected Contributor

I don't mean this in any way except the truth....at 93,overweight or not, what does it truly matter. Get her some delicious treat. As people age they get a strong sweet tooth. It could be a treat of the month brought by you...not huge amounts,just special.

Super Contributor

I agree about the food. She may be overweight because she is homebound. I think a sweet treat would be great. If I reach that age, I wouldn't want any one putting me on a diet. in addition, if she sends cards out for different occasions, you could give her a box of birthday cards or a box of assorted cards and some stamps to go with them.

Honored Contributor

My first thought was a delicious meal for just her and you.  If you can make it and bring it to her I bet she'd just love having the meal and a special friend to eat it with.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*