Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Never bought those but buy them at the meat market.

Yes they are corn fed. Most of your meat is corn fed.

Even if you buy grass fed a lot of it's corn fed before processing so it weighs more.

You have to ask if it's finished on corn or 100% grass fed.

If it's 100% grass fed there's no fat because it's so lean.

I see hamburger at the grocery store that says grass fed but you can see the fat in it. That tells me it's not 100% grass fed.

The grass fed hamburger I buy from local farmer is 100% grass fed. It's lean. It's the only hamburger I will buy. They also have grass fed steaks, roasts etc. We just ate grass fed ribeyes that melt in your mouth.

Tenderloin should melt in your mouth. It's the best cut steak there is IMO.

@Nightowlz  Just because it is grass fed that has nothing to do with the fat content of hamburger.  The fat can be fat added as it is ground (as is often the case) coming from other places and cuts. 

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Most of the beef we buy is corn fed because the animals gain weight more quickly. Feeding corn also produces more marbeling (fat), but that's what gives the meat more flavor. I personally don't worry about the fat content in steaks or hamburger because I don't eat them everyday. Beef tenderloin should always be extremely tender regardless of whether it's grass fed or corn fed provided it's cooked/grilled correctly. You might talk to your local grocer or meat market to find out if they carry grass fed beef and what the difference in price is. Generally, grass fed is more expensive, but at least you can compare the difference in price between your local meat market versus buying it online. Good luck to you!

I think what the above doctor was talking about is "lean."  Grass fed doesn't mean that the meat is lean.  LOOK at what is in the case.  How the meat looks, the amount of fat and marbeling is way more meaningful than words on a package.  

There are lots of variables.  And grass fed, 100 percent grass fed, corn finished, etc. etc. etc.  My preference is pasture raised that is then corn finished.

Trusted Contributor

I bought them last year to make a big pot of stew for our annual fall family camping trip. They were very tasty, the problem was that they were so tender that they broke down in the stew which made it seem like there wasn't any meat. But it was very delicious with homemade rolls .

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Even if you buy grass fed a lot of it's corn fed before processing so it weighs more.

I see hamburger at the grocery store that says grass fed but you can see the fat in it. That tells me it's not 100% grass fed.

The grass fed hamburger I buy from local farmer is 100% grass fed. It's lean. It's the only hamburger I will buy. They also have grass fed steaks, roasts etc. We just ate grass fed ribeyes that melt in your mouth.

@Nightowlz  Just because it is grass fed that has nothing to do with the fat content of hamburger.  The fat can be fat added as it is ground (as is often the case) coming from other places and cuts. 

@Sooner 

I guess that's true if they do that way. I just know some do finish it by corn feeding. That's what this local farmer has told me anyways. They don't finish theirs on corn or feed it any corn or add fat.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Sooner 

I guess that's true if they do that way. I just know some do finish it by corn feeding. That's what this local farmer has told me anyways. They don't finish theirs on corn or feed it any corn or add fat.

@Nightowlz   What I'm saying is hamburger is a ground mix of beef and beef fat and whoever does the grinding will sometimes use beef fat from other cuts or parts of the beef in the mix.  So with burger you aren't sure of what you are getting.

Sometimes I'll buy roasts at a butcher shop and have them take it and grind it, or I'll bring it home and grind it.