Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever purchased these fillets ? They claim they melt in your mouth. My only concern is hearing they are corn fed. I was told by my doctor to only purchase grass fed beef.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Beef Tenderloins

[ Edited ]

Never bought those but buy them at the meat market.

Yes they are corn fed. Most of your meat is corn fed.

Even if you buy grass fed a lot of it's corn fed before processing so it weighs more.

You have to ask if it's finished on corn or 100% grass fed.

If it's 100% grass fed there's no fat because it's so lean.

I see hamburger at the grocery store that says grass fed but you can see the fat in it. That tells me it's not 100% grass fed.

The grass fed hamburger I buy from local farmer is 100% grass fed. It's lean. It's the only hamburger I will buy. They also have grass fed steaks, roasts etc. We just ate grass fed ribeyes that melt in your mouth.

Tenderloin should melt in your mouth. It's the best cut steak there is IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Has anyone ever purchased these fillets ? They claim they melt in your mouth. My only concern is hearing they are corn fed. I was told by my doctor to only purchase grass fed beef.  

What reason was given to you?  Wouldn’t beef in general not a good choice?

Esteemed Contributor

Only corn fed - Only grass fed.............it's a long road from the beef barn and pasture to your dinner plate.  There's winter feed - chopped corn - grains & hay.  I would never believe a 'sticker' on a package in the meat cooler promising 'only' anything.  Food passes through many hands before you see it.

(hundreds of sides of beef are -  mingled together in the processing - ever been to a slaughter house?)

Trusted Contributor

I’ve had them before and they’re tasteless in addition to being tiny.  In fact most of their steaks aren’t worth it. 

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Only corn fed - Only grass fed.............it's a long road from the beef barn and pasture to your dinner plate.  There's winter feed - chopped corn - grains & hay.  I would never believe a 'sticker' on a package in the meat cooler promising 'only' anything.  Food passes through many hands before you see it.

(hundreds of sides of beef are -  mingled together in the processing - ever been to a slaughter house?)

Congratulations,

You have made the purchase completely unappetiizing.  Slaughter House ? Really ?

Esteemed Contributor

As Joe Friday - Dragnet said - "just the facts madam" - just the facts."

Esteemed Contributor

Most of the beef we buy is corn fed because the animals gain weight more quickly. Feeding corn also produces more marbeling (fat), but that's what gives the meat more flavor. I personally don't worry about the fat content in steaks or hamburger because I don't eat them everyday. Beef tenderloin should always be extremely tender regardless of whether it's grass fed or corn fed provided it's cooked/grilled correctly. You might talk to your local grocer or meat market to find out if they carry grass fed beef and what the difference in price is. Generally, grass fed is more expensive, but at least you can compare the difference in price between your local meat market versus buying it online. Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

Grass fed beef is a help for health because of the ratio of Omega 3 fats in its diet to Omega 6 fats (correctly called fatty acids, not fats, but for this post, I’ll just stick to fats for simplification). Animals grazing on grass have more Omega 3 in their diet of grasses. Corn fed beef, gets a higher percentage of Omega 6 from the corn. The American diet is skewed toward an abundance of Omega 6 with not enough Omega 3 and we need more 3. Omega 3 fats have been shown to help reduce heart disease and stroke. It’s important to consume both Omega 6 fats and Omega 3 but too much of one can affect the effects of the other.

Of all the different types of fatty acids, only two have been declared essential to human health: linoleic acid (LA), an omega-6 fat, and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fat. 

The American diet tends to skew the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 in favor of omega-6 fats, which can contribute to a systemic inflammatory process and the increased prevalence of obesity, cardiovascular and nonalcoholic fatty liver diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), and cancer.

The balance between these two essential fatty acids is delicate, however, and too much of one and too little of the other can result in deleterious health consequences.

Omega-6 fats are necessary for normal growth and development. They help maintain the reproductive system and contribute to the synthesis of hair, skin, and bones. Main food sources of omega-6 fats include most vegetable oils (eg, corn, soybean, and cottonseed), nuts, and animal products.

Omega-3 fats play an important role in cognition, behavioral function, mood, circulation, and skin and heart health. Although the ALA found in vegetable sources such as walnuts, flaxseeds, and chia seeds can, in theory, be converted into easier-to-use longer-chain omega-3 fats, it’s preferable to obtain EPA and DHA directly from marine sources, such as cold-water fatty fish (eg, salmon, sardines, herring, albacore tuna, lake trout, mackerel, sardines) and algae.

Despite the importance of consuming both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, too much of either essential fatty acid (EFA) can impair how the other functions. Before the industrialization of food in the last century, scientists estimate that the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fats in the human diet averaged between 1:1 and 4:1.2

Substituting animal fats in the standard US diet with vegetable oils in margarines, salad dressings, and other processed foods has resulted in a drastic increase in omega-6 consumption. PUFA consumption rose from 13 to 37 g/day within the last 100 years and now accounts for 21% of total fat intake, mostly in the form of omega-6 fats.3

As a consequence of these dietary changes, the current omega-6 to omega-3 ratio has reached an all-time high, estimated at between 10:1 and 20:1.2 The excess of omega-6 fats and the deficiency in omega-3s in the US diet is thought to be associated with today’s increased prevalence of chronic and inflammatory diseases.

Omega-3 fats appear to protect against fatty liver disease because they encourage adequate insulin sensitivity and direct fatty acids away from liver storage. Unfortunately, disproportionate levels of omega-6 fats inhibit these potential omega-3 benefits. Patients presenting with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease have been found to have higher levels of omega-6s and lower levels of omega-3s in their adipose tissues, indicating an imbalance in the dietary ratio of these fats.

Low-grade systemic inflammation is now considered a significant risk factor in the development of cardiovascular diseases. The omega-6 fats are associated with many factors involved in atherosclerosis, such as inflammation, vasoconstriction, endothelial dysfunction, and platelet aggregation. A high intake of omega-6 fats can result in the formation of oxidized LDL particles, which are more susceptible to becoming incorporated into arterial plaques, eventually leading to cardiovascular problems.”

EXERPTED and edited for length FROM 

Balancing Act
By Aglaée Jacob, MS, RD
Today’s Dietitian
Vol. 15 No. 4 P. 38

As for tenderloins, that’s just a cut of beef. If you want tenderness you need marbling of fat running through the tenderloins as well as the cut of beef. The cuts of beef come from areas of the cow, some of which get more use of the muscles of the animal than others. Cuts from lesser used muscles are generally more tender. The USDA grading system uses the marbling in beef to determine grade and thus tenderness. In the USA, USDA Prime would be the most tender followed by USDA Choice followed by USDA Select. If the meat is ungraded or the grading is not noted I would expect less tenderness. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • “Monounsaturated fat: Grass-fed beef contains much less monounsaturated fat than grain-fed beef (1Trusted Source).
  • Omega-6 polyunsaturated fats: Grass-fed and grain-fed beef contain very similar amounts of omega-6 fatty acids.
  • Omega-3s: This is where grass-fed really makes a major difference, containing up to five times as much omega-3 (2Trusted Source).
  • Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA): Grass-fed beef contains about twice as much CLA as grain-fed beef. This fatty acid (CLA) is a fatty acid found in meat and dairy that is believed to have various health benefits.

The main dietary sources of CLA are the meat and milk of ruminants, such as cows, goats and sheep.Trusted Source).”

From Healthline “Grass Fed Versus Grain Fed Beef”

• “The total amounts of CLA in these foods varies greatly depending on what the animals ate (8Trusted Source).

From Healthline “Grass Fed Versus Grain Fed Beef”

For example, the CLA content is 300–500% higher in beef and dairy from grass-fed cowsthan grain-fed cows (9Trusted Source)”.

From Healthline article “CLA, A Detailed Review”