Respected Contributor

Re: Attitudes by Renne set of 2 Jersey maxi dresses

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I am short and I find maxi dresses as well as other longer items (tall shaft boots, over knee boots, long cardigans) have an elongating effect on me. I look a little taller and slimmer. Conversely, short things sometimes tend to make me look chopped up. I guess everyone is different! I can’t wait to get these dresses and see how they fit.

@Grouchomarx, I can only dream of wearing over-the-knee boots.  I love the look of them, but I have "athletic" calves.  Really, my legs are just pretty much tree trunks, so any boots are a problem for me.  Funny, it didn't used to be that way and I have always had these legs.  I've always been a boot fan ad years ago I never hesitated to buy my size without having to try on first, but not now.  Now, sleeves are getting skinnier too.  

I can sympathize with your boot issues, my very good friend has the same problem. She’s done well with ones that have elastic goring in them. There are lots of wide calf boots out there, have you ever tried them? As for small or no sleeves, I kind of hate my arms but I decided to just bite the bullet and get these dresses and it is what it is. Life’s too short to stress over it! 

@Grouchomarx, I'm not a fan of the elasting goring.  Also, whenever I see the wide calf boots they're just not as becoming, but I guess I should try if I could find some locally.  I don't want to have to send them back somewhere.  I have a paiir of black riding boots with quilted uppers that I was able to buy something called Boot Bands which is a panel that zips in.  Of course, black is easy to match.  Any other color, the boot bands would be more obvious.  

When I was referring to small sleeves, I'm talking about long sleeves being too tight.  It started for me with Under Armour, but now I'm finding it more and more.  I don't hate my upper arms, but I'm quite cold natured, so I'll probably wear a black shrug with the dress.  I don't like spaghetti straps on me at all though.  I'm just not skinny enough in the upper body for that.  But, I guess it doesn't matter since I would probably put a shrug over it anyways.

I totally hear you about spaghetti straps. I would never wear that. I have a bunch of shrugs in various colors, I’ll probably wear it with the sleeveless one if I’m at a restaurant. I too find long sleeves can be too tight. I really hate that. It’s so uncomfortable. Who are they making all these skinny armed shirts for? Victoria’s Secret models? Ugh.

Trusted Contributor

The petite models looked very frumpy in these frocks.

Honored Contributor

@IamDoodles wrote:

You have to remember 1. the camera adds weight.  All these normal sized looking models and hosts are really very skinny.  2. at least the petite model that was on at midnight was VERY curvy and busty.  I'm not built like that at all.  My curviest asset is my butt.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree these are skinny girl dresses.  Better not have a stomach.

Occasional Contributor

Isaac Mizrahi has some wonderful sweater shrugs. Joan RIvers and Dennis Basso have shrugs and jackets that are beautiful.  Most of the designers are selling some type of shrug or jacket for those who don't like to show their arms.  I bought IM, JR, and DB last year and have loved them.  

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

As a petite person, I would never wear a maxi dress. They just make you look shorter. Dresses for petites should be just below or at the knee to give you a longer look. I will never understand this trend of maxi dresses. This one has slits on the sides and the florals are not attractive. The polka dot is ok but who wants a plain color dress that is sleeveless.  This is another look that has no appeal.

@elated I am a petite person.  Anyone can see that, and it doesn't bother me.  Why try to look taller?  I don't think you can anyway.  

I would love one, but I worry about the fit and I don't to polyester.  The plain color sleeveless would be great for me.  I'm not into prints so much.

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@IamDoodles wrote:

You have to remember 1. the camera adds weight.  All these normal sized looking models and hosts are really very skinny.  2. at least the petite model that was on at midnight was VERY curvy and busty.  I'm not built like that at all.  My curviest asset is my butt.  

You are right.  Those petite models were very busty and "curvy" and they most likely did not portrary those dresses as flattering.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think they are a good value. I ordered the Safari combo in the petite. I loved it on Shawn. The only thing I wish is that Renee would do placement prints rather than random prints. And slightly off topic but Leah just looks better every week. I would love to know what she did to lose all that weight. I just need to lose 10 pounds after this brutal cold winter where I ate and drank too much
Honored Contributor

I posted this in another thread.

I personally was not a fan of the material at all.  I found it very thick but because it has that "slinky" feel to the fabric, it shows every lump and bump unless you want to wear a shaping garment underneath.  

I'm certain that is why Antonella and Jane both had jackets on over the dresses and anytime I saw a presentation, any of the larger sized models also had something over the top.

She did a como jersey TSV maxi dress and shrug last year and I ordered it and sent it back.  Didn't care for the material at all and in the summer I have no desire to be bound up in shapewear.   

Honored Contributor

Decided waiting on ordering wanted to hear back on measurements and length. Glad chose doing this. This morning ordered petite small in rose.