Occasional Contributor

Are Luminara superior to the cheaper ones found elsewhere?

I accidentally came across these "exact" same candles; same size, colors, wax candles with a fake flame along with a timer & remote on Amazon for much less-made by a number of different companies.  They were so much cheaper.  I ordered a set.  They seem the same to me.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  Is Luminara superior?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are Luminara superior to the cheaper ones found elsewhere?

I would guess it's something like a "house brand"............you don't really think Walmart has their own flour mill, sugar cane plantation, etc...........

I worked for THE BIGGEST ALUMINUM FOIL COMPANY............and we produced foil for everybody........the only difference was that the "store brands" went into their own boxes.........and since they purchased in such HUGE quantities, they could offer it for a lesser price.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@LiamsMom wrote:

I accidentally came across these "exact" same candles; same size, colors, wax candles with a fake flame along with a timer & remote on Amazon for much less-made by a number of different companies.  They were so much cheaper.  I ordered a set.  They seem the same to me.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  Is Luminara superior?

It all depends.  There are so many candles like Luminara now, you have to really test them to see.  I love Luminara candles, but I also purchased a comparable set on Amazon that look and work almost identical.  They have only 1 remote control for a set of 3 candles, so they are not good for sift & gift; I wouldn't break up the set.  The remote has a dimmer feature built in so the glow can be stronger or dimmer (I LOVE that), just with a click of the remote.  The one thing I do not know yet is the comparable battery life. I purchased 2 sets of 3 candles each, and spent far less than Luminaras of the same count.  Time will tell about the battery life.

Super Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@LiamsMom wrote:

It all depends.  There are so many candles like Luminara now, you have to really test them to see.  I love Luminara candles, but I also purchased a comparable set on Amazon that look and work almost identical.  They have only 1 remote control for a set of 3 candles, so they are not good for sift & gift; I wouldn't break up the set.  The remote has a dimmer feature built in so the glow can be stronger or dimmer (I LOVE that), just with a click of the remote.  The one thing I do not know yet is the comparable battery life. I purchased 2 sets of 3 candles each, and spent far less than Luminaras of the same count.  Time will tell about the battery life.

@Caaareful Shopper to do you have a brand name?

Occasional Contributor

That's the exact same set I purchased.  They seem identical but yes, it's about battery life.  If only someone would invent batteries that lasted at least a year or more and were affordable.  I'm waiting for the day that I can place a lamp anywhere or walk around using a hairdryer because the electricity somehow "flies through the air" to our stuff instead of being dependent on plugs and batteries.

They make a picture fly through the air-this always amazes me-and come out on our TV as a picture and sound, they make a person's voice come through wires over a phone or fly through the air on a cell phone and we receive it. Too bad they couldn't electrify things without wires or batteries.  I think all women would be very happy about that.

Honored Contributor

I've seen quite a few 'flame effect' candle brands coming out in the last few years, and some are nice, some are not. Some I feel (for the cost difference especially) are 'good enough'.

I like the Candle Impression Mirage candles, actually better than most of what Luminara is putting out right now. The battery life is better, the flame effect isn't done by an over actice dancing flame, but a more muted flicker, and the timer is totally programmable...I get to choose the number of hours I want it on.

There are a lot of things I take into account when looking at a candle. Price is not the most important. Style, good coloring, size (not a fan of the 3 inch diameter, like them bigger), embellishments (scrolls, primitive dusting, or some other type of treatments) all factor into what I think is a good value.

I personally feel the Luminara, because the wick itself moves, is much more fragile than the Mirage, which is stationary. The Luminara's will vary in that some move too much and are rather manic, and others don't move at all. 

I like Luminaras, but there are others coming out with the 'look' and some other nicer features. I choose based on quite a few criteria, not just brand name or price.

Honored Contributor

Though it is an initally larger investment than regular batteries, I got all rechargeable and a charger that charges every kind of battery. This way I pretty much never have to buy batteries again.

The charge lasts as long as the thing they are operating allows.

Like some things eat up the battery charge fast and others don't. I wish whoever designes the ones that don't eat up so much of the batteries would design them all!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Yes @ChrissyKR  They are called Comenzar on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a Luminara flameless candle from the Q several years ago. l sent it right back. It had nothing to do with the quality. The problem for me was how the candle looks when it is not lit. Notice that they never show a candle in the "off" position during those looooong demonstrations. That's b/c it looks so fake and ugly to me when turned off. The fake "flame" is a piece of flat grey plastic. I much prefer the type of flameless candle that has a recessed little bulb, so there isn't a fake flame in view. JMHO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Regular Contributor

I actually preferred the candle impression ones too until I noticed that constant flashing light from the bottom. In bright light it is likely never noticeable but on a dreary or dark day from the bottom a light it flashing. I thought it meant the batteries were dying but NO, they told me it was an indicator to show the timer was set/working. I stopped buying them after that. In the middle of the nite when I get up and walk around I hated that flashing...it was actually just weird.