Super Contributor

Are Beekman 1802 soaps scented with synthetic or all-natural ingredients ?

I looked at the ingredient lists for their soaps on their website and they are listed as "Fragrance (Parfum)".   That doesn't really tell me if the scent is from synthetic or natural sources.  Josie Maran says that she doesn't use synthetic fragrances but, a lot of the time, in her product ingredient lists it also says " Fragrance (Parfum)".  It's confusing to me.

Has anyone heard the Beekmans talk about their fragrance sources?  Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: Are Beekman 1802 soaps scented with synthetic or all-natural ingredients ?

I think Brent said they use natural fragrances. He is proud that some of the products are Environmental Working Group ceritified.

Contributor

Fragrance, perfume will always be synthetic. If it said essential oil, different story but fragrance is just that, fake scent.

Respected Contributor

@Debra Nugent wrote:

Fragrance, perfume will always be synthetic. If it said essential oil, different story but fragrance is just that, fake scent.

Fragrance can be natural or synthetic. It can be made from fruits, plants, flowers, etc and many companies only use natural fragrances, as that is preferred these days by consumers. It does not need to say essential oil to be natural.

Contributor

So what's a 'natural fragrance'?  Natural fragrance oils are blends of isolates that are often derived using the same processes that are used to get essential oils (natural isolates are single odor molecules that are extracted from natural raw materials using distillation techniques).   The difference is in whether you are extracting an entire compound (essential oil) or a single molecule (natural isolate).

It gets more complicated - some 'natural isolates' are not truly natural, but are sold as such.  What's an unnatural isolate, even if it comes from a natural plant or fruit of a plant? Maybe when it comes from a microbe, and/or when it has to undergo numerous laboratory processes when it is tortuously put through a series of chemical procedures to produce the isolate.

Honored Contributor

Dare I say: 

'Oh, well'.............as long as various products don't irritate my skin or aggravate my sensitivities (fragrance odors), I'm happy.

As an afterthought:  And not referring to Beekman or any other brand:

In general: Just about everything we touch now-a-days (furniture, items, clothing, etc., etc., etc.) contains some sort of non-natural material. It's hard not to touch something each day that isn't completely natural.

So far, so good regarding Beekman. 

I love to see private businesses succeed. 

Many of today's large corporations, way back when, began as small private businesses.  Nothing wrong with that.

Wishing everyone well.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

The Beekman’s are on saying how natural this soap and no harmful ingredients.That’s a joke! You can look up the ingredients under the item number and they include the following harmful ingredients: Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Titanium Dioxide...

Trusted Contributor

@lavenderfields wrote:

I looked at the ingredient lists for their soaps on their website and they are listed as "Fragrance (Parfum)".   That doesn't really tell me if the scent is from synthetic or natural sources.  Josie Maran says that she doesn't use synthetic fragrances but, a lot of the time, in her product ingredient lists it also says " Fragrance (Parfum)".  It's confusing to me.

Has anyone heard the Beekmans talk about their fragrance sources?  Thank you.

@lavenderfields The Beekman’s are on saying how natural this soap and no harmful ingredients.That’s a joke! You can look up the ingredients under the QVC item number and they include the following harmful ingredients: Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Titanium Dioxide...

New Contributor

I notice QVC nor the Beekmans have yet to answer  this question. Shame on them. It implies they are hding something. Are there any synthetic ingredients in Beekman products???

New Contributor

Looks like I am returnign my laundry soap that was citrus scented.. gag..  I can smell it before I open cardboard box.  I am an essential oil expert for 23 years..and this is NOT natural