Esteemed Contributor
Accepted Solution

Anyone had the NY bagels ......

I see they will be the TSV on Wednesday and would like to try them,  NY has the best bagels anywhere ,  but I wonder if these can compare and how to keep them fresh as bagels tend to be the best the day you buy them ?   If anyone has ordered them before could you please comment ?   😺

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone had the NY bagels ......

I have ordered the bagels from Just Bagels in the past, and I think they are excellent.  

Since they contain no preservatives, you must put them in your freezer the same day you receive them.  You don't need to put them in another container, you can just pop them in the freezer in the plastic bag they come in.

Having never been to NYC thus have never eaten a same-day fresh-made NYC bagel, I can't compare them to that.  However, these are the best bagels I've ever had.

Honored Contributor

I have and really liked them.  As soon as they came I cut them in half (they didn't come sliced) and put them back in the plastic bags and placed them in the freezer.  They are very good toasted!

I grew up in NY & NJ and we always had fresh bagels growing up.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

I have ordered the bagels from Just Bagels in the past, and I think they are excellent.  

Since they contain no preservatives, you must put them in your freezer the same day you receive them.  You don't need to put them in another container, you can just pop them in the freezer in the plastic bag they come in.

Having never been to NYC thus have never eaten a same-day fresh-made NYC bagel, I can't compare them to that.  However, these are the best bagels I've ever had.

@DottieBlue @Thank you I appreciate knowing how to store them !

Regular Contributor

I've ordered the NY Bagels a few times and yes they are as good as the bagels made here in N Y.  I've ordered the bialys and those are my favorite.  The best bialys I ever had were from a place in NYC called Kossars on the lower east side and the ones I ordered from QVC were as good as Kossars.  I freeze the bagels as soon as I get them.  My only negative is the price on QVC.   Last week I went to a bagel shop near me and bought 14 bagels (2 free when you buy a dozen) for $13.  

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I have and really liked them.  As soon as they came I cut them in half (they didn't come sliced) and put them back in the plastic bags and placed them in the freezer.  They are very good toasted!

I grew up in NY & NJ and we always had fresh bagels growing up.  

@haddon9   I lived in NYC for  a few years and loved the bagels,  they are the best !!!!  I plan to order these .  Good idea to cut them in half when they arrive !

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

I've ordered the NY Bagels a few times and yes they are as good as the bagels made here in N Y.  I've ordered the bialys and those are my favorite.  The best bialys I ever had were from a place in NYC called Kossars on the lower east side and the ones I ordered from QVC were as good as Kossars.  I freeze the bagels as soon as I get them.  My only negative is the price on QVC.   Last week I went to a bagel shop near me and bought 14 bagels (2 free when you buy a dozen) for $13.  

@Scooty @I'm not familiar with Kossars ,  I used to go a place in Brooklyn every Sunday,  would pick up the Wall St Journal and a dozen bagels and spend the morning relaxin reading and eating lol. I do like bialys very much too !  And yes,  the price at QVC is high but if you can't get them in the city it's the next best thing .

Honored Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

This is for 24 though.  I know it's a bit more expensive, but they are shipped free, so the price is probably equitable.

I'm tempted to get them, but have so much stuff in my freezer right now that I'm running out of room.

Regular Contributor

@Venezia  yes that's a good price for 24.  Other varieties of their 24 bagels can run more than $40.  24 bagels would take up a lot of room in the freezer!  They are as good as the bagels I buy locally.

Super Contributor

Are these bagels hard?  I remember having a bagel off a street vendor in NYC many years ago and it was hard as a rock!  My teeth can't take anything but soft bagels.