Occasional Contributor

Re: Another Amazon echo TSV on 12/6?

The Echo Dot 2nd Gen does have a speaker, although smaller and best used in a smaller space likd a bedfoom. It can be used with a larber speaker, but doesn't have to be.

Hope this helps with the confusion. Go to Amazon and read about it?

Occasional Contributor

I really hate auto correct! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Horsefeathers418 wrote:

The Echo Dot 2nd Gen does have a speaker, although smaller and best used in a smaller space likd a bedfoom. It can be used with a larber speaker, but doesn't have to be.

Hope this helps with the confusion. Go to Amazon and read about it?

@Horsefeathers418  You are right.  I don't know why I said it don't have a speaker.  That was dumb.  LOL   I guess what I meant is that it does not have a quality speaker like the larger one.  

Occasional Contributor

I have the full size and i love it.  These are the small Dots that sale for $49.99 everywhere, so your only saving $5.00, but of course QVC has the easy pay.  Now the best deal is buying the set of 2.

Esteemed Contributor

@Will2890 wrote:

I have the full size and i love it.  These are the small Dots that sale for $49.99 everywhere, so your only saving $5.00, but of course QVC has the easy pay.  Now the best deal is buying the set of 2.

@Will2890 I have the large one also.  This is not a good buy even with two.  First off Amazon there is no shipping fee.  Q charging you $5.00 to ship you save a total of 3 cents.  Okay the easy pay is an option.   If you buy 3 at Amazon you save 20.00.  Amazon might be out of black, but everyone else has them.   I even saw them at Staples. 

Esteemed Contributor

No one in my family wanted one of these.  I learned not to buy on tv for electronics. I bought a 7" Kindle from amazon and a year later an 8.9" from QVC. Guess which one is slow and not working well. Also a bad experience with a gateway computer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Will2890 wrote:

Now the best deal is buying the set of 2.

Sold out!!!!! icon_exclaim.gif

I saw the set at midnight.  Should have ordered then.  When you snooze you loooooooose. Smiley Sad

I checked BB&B & they are selling the 3 pack for $129.  Cannot use the 20% coupon (Amazon won't allow). 

The single Dot is not at my local store.  I would have to order online.  Not really a price difference between BB&B & QVC even w/BB&B FREE shipping policy.

===============

I think I will order the single TSV before midnight.  The Dot is more my speed.  Will use in my bedroom and kitchen for.  After much research, I discovered I can transfer/upload MY music CDs from MY computer-Mac to Amazon Dot 2nd generation.  The max is 250 songs.  This way, I can listen to music in the bedroom w/my door closed w/o using those other music outlets.  I already have a full receiver/stereo/cd setup in my living room for my music.  Plus my iPod is hooked up to my receiver setup.

And the cherry on top is that besides having my own wi-fi network (router), I have a lot of FREE wi-fi since the towns in my neck of the woods are all FREE wi-fi thanks to Comcast & Verizon. 

I only need to sign up as a basic member of Amazon to download the Alexes app.  I am not a member & do not ever plan on ordering a thing from them.

All in all, the Dot is all I need for my lifestyle instead of the Echo.

I don't have a cell phone.  The Dot works w/comp as well as w/Macs.  No need for a cell phone. yahoo.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

This is the hot gift of the year, but there is also truth in that there is a new one coming out.

Amazon wants to get rid of the plethora they probably have in stock. It is hard to advertise Alexa because it is one of those "needs demonstration" products. QVC is the perfect place to give it air time, demo it, and sell them out. It is also a win fr Amazon, demo'ing Alexa is free marketing for them. Once people understand what it is, their sales will go up.

I ordered the 2 pack and within 5 minutes surfed over to a "new tech" website, and right on the front page was the new one coming out early next year.

I don't think the dot will become an unused version, because the cloud she gets her information from is just growing everyday. I think the new one coming out will just do more things (and probably for more money).

Then I got concerned about the 2 pack. What if I decided I only needed one? Cannot return one from a 2 pack. I only got the 2 pack because the shipping was $5 for either the one pack OR the 2 pack (saving $5 S&H).

I ended up cancelling the 2 pack and only buying one for myself. I think this would be a fun thing to play with either alone or for when grandkids are over. I can see kids having a great time playing the games that are within the Alexa app.

I also like the grocery store shopping list. My son is forever texting me if I need anything at the store, or I think of something and he has already left the store. Love "add to shopping list" skill.

Alexa dot is a cool gift, even if people don't think they want it. If they are not paying for it, I bet all will use it Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

For the life of me I cannot figure out what is the big draw with this?  Who really needs to talk to a machine.  I think it is a gimmick that will be outdated in no time.  Next year it will be something bigger and better!  Playing games with an Echo?  I have better things to do! It seems annoying to me; that voice would get old quick.  All the info she spits out is on the computer anyway.  We are becoming a lazy society if we need to talk to a machine.  Just my opinion folks; don't be hating me for this post!!!!

Honored Contributor

This is not something I will use extensively, or for a lot of music, so the $50 Dot is perfect for what I plan to use it for, and who knows, I might end up using it more than I think I will.

I bought from Amazon directly, as - same price in the end, and I didn't want either of the trial subscriptions.

Most of the reviews on Amazon say the only difference between the Echo and the Dot is the speakers, and if you don't play a lot of music it won't matter. Plus you can connect-the-Dot (hahaha) to a bluetooth speaker if you want to and can then potentially have better sound than with the Echo.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all