Respected Contributor

Amazon fire tablet any thoughts about it.

I have an apple ipad mini and the battery life is very short.

I was wondering what makes this amazon tablet something I could use.  Does it come loaded with apps already? I have a kindle reader but it seems this could do that and more.

Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon fire tablet any thoughts about it.

[ Edited ]

@chiclet , my brother was looking for a tablet to use to download movies, etc.  He didn't want Apple.  I came here looking for a recommendation and others (like @Kachina624 and @Nuttmeg  recommended this one.  My brother loves it.  I think it does everything an iPad does.

Amamzon Fire Tablet.  Load your apps, use for mail, surfing amd downloading.

Hopefully those that own it will chime in.  LM

Honored Contributor

I've used iPad, a Windows tablet, and Fire.  I'll stick with my iPad. I know the battery life isn't great but I'd rather plug it in midday than use another type. They all had about the same battery life even though some bragged about a longer one. 

Contributor

I have a ?.  I've only used a lap top.  That's where my technology time line ends.

Can you get You Tube on this?

Do all these other things cost $-  This would be perfect for me to take upstairs to my craft room while I'm watching You Tube crafting videos instead of hauling my lap top upstairs.

any info would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.   

Esteemed Contributor

I'll stick with my iPad but I do like Amazon products. Just make sure if you do decide to get the Kindle that you get the newest model. (QVC is known for selling yesterday's technology today). Plus I'm sure they jacked up the price with a bunch of cheap accessories  you don't need. Also, if you can wait to Black Friday, Amazon might have a sale and lastly I would buy it from Amazon where you would probably have it in a couple of days and if you don't like it you can take it back to a UPS store or Kohl's and send it back for free. 

Super Contributor

I have both an iPad and a 8" Fire. I use my iPad all of the time. I bought the Fire mainly for reading some library books that aren't available in the Kindle format and to take to appointments and such. My iPad is faster and smoother to use. The Fire is lighter and more durable. The Fire is good for a first tablet, infrequent user, and for kids. It's also good for downloading movies or tv shows.  You can download pretty much all of the apps that you want on the Fire, as well as the iPad. Granted, my Fire is a year or so old, so this one is probably an upgraded model. I would say that if you aren't sure if you would use a tablet, give it a try. I very rarely use my laptop or desktop computer as my iPad does everything that I need. 

Super Contributor

@monti3, yes, you can get the YouTube app for the Fire tablet. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can you surf the internet,and shop?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I had asked yesterday on here about the i pad,10 inch 2021 ,on walmart pre order,what can the fire  not do?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Like a previous poster, I have had iPads as well as android and Fire tablets.  I use all aspects of a tablet, and there is no comparison in quality, speed, or seamlessness between an iPad and the rest...for me.  (A very high-end android tablet would be similar to an iPad, I think, so I am talking about a less expensive device.) For a very casual user, a Fire tablet is probably fine.  QVC's deal is a good one.  Compare it to the Amazon price.  One thing to know is that the Fire operating system is completely different from Android or Apple.  Some apps that you can get on android or Apple devices are not available from the Fire store.  If someone has never had a tablet before, I think this would be a good way to see if you would like and use one.  You can get most of the popular apps like YouTube, Netflix, etc.  

I would strongly advise getting the 64gb version.  I actually prefer 8-inch tablets over 10-inch tablets, because I find them easier to hold in my hands while I type with my thumbs.  That being said, my next iPad may be the 10-inch iPad with keyboard, because the new iPad mini starts at $499.  Yikes.