Honored Contributor

Re: Alegria Confusion on Sizing

It is a mystery to me how people can buy shoes from a TV show or a catalog without trying them on.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, Alegria sizing can be confusing.  I wear both a 38 and a 39 standard width depending on the style.  I can also wear a 38 wide width in certain styles.  Difficult to order online for sure!  I have one foot that's really an 8 wide due to a bunion, and one foot that's really an 8.5 medium.  Usually a 38 fits if it's an open toe/open heel sandal like the Fiona, which was the last TSV.  In a closed toe sandal or a closed toe & heel style, I'm usually a 39, especially if I sometimes wear a sock.  Check out the Alegria sizing info and chart on the Alegria shoe shop site.  You'll see that Alegria shoes come in either their Classic sizing OR their New sizing, and there is a difference.  You need to check the sizing for the particular style you want.  For example, the style I recently ordered comes in the Classic sizing -- a size 38 is 7.5-8 and a 39 is 8.5.  That's how I knew to order the 39.  IF the style was in New sizing, it would be size 38 is 8-8.5 and 39 is 9-9.5.  Big difference.  So check the authentic Alegria charts before ordering from QVC, since Q charges for returns.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

It is a mystery to me how people can buy shoes from a TV show or a catalog without trying them on.

I always take an 8-1/2 W in Clarks and Sporto, so I can buy those without trying them on.  Once I have experience with a brand, what I order on-line almost always fits. 

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

Thanks again, @KingstonsMom!  Maybe I should try to find a store that sells them so that I could go in and try them on.  All this confusion about the sizing and the fact that they don't make wides makes that the best option.  I want to get my Alegria walking shoes by early fall, so that gives me some time to actually go try them on.  I really appreciate your info about the shoes you have of theirs.  I love that rocker bottom that lets you move really fast.

Can anyone suggest another brand with a bottom like this that has wides in American sizes?

@Ms X

That's your best bet, go to a store that sells them so you can try them on.

I first found Alegria when I saw a lady wearing a really cute pair and asked her what brand they were. That's before QVC sold them.

Then I just googled 'Alegria' with my city & state and it told me which stores sold them in my area.

Alegria probably has this info as well on their website.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@mpobs  I have several Alegria shoes, all in size 39.  I pre-ordered this clog in the Posh Gold, and I already have it.  My normal size in shoes is a 9, but I do have a narrow, shallow foot.  I ordered this one in a 39, and the fit is perfect.......I love the shoe.  My only problem is that, for some weird reason, they squeak when I walk!  I just ordered another pair in the pewter, and I'm hoping they don't also make that noise......it's really loud. 

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

Many people that wear special sizes like wide or narrow are forced really to buy on line.  Or at Nordstroms which is one of the only places that carry special sizes occasionally and then its what they have and that is not too much.  I bought a pair of these shoes and sent them back.  The thick slab like sole felt heavy to me and it did not seem like it was a good fit on my foot.  My guess is there will be a lot of returns.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949 I do it often, and 99% of the time they fit just fine!

I did have an issue recently with some BareTrap sandals, though....bought 2 pair, same size, same style, different colors. While both are wearable, one pair is longer than the other.

Honored Contributor

I like the dark black/gold floral, the neutral snake, and the shiny black snake.  (Don't know the exact fancy names.......), but I haven't yet ordered.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I posted in another thread about this. When I ordered my first pair of Alegria, I ordered 39. That's what the chart said. I did see another Alegria sizing chart somewhere that said "9-1/2 to 10 = 40." *** I wear 9-1/2 medium in American sizing, and European sizing varies between 39-40. I've never worn 10 in any shoe - I wear 9-1/2 in Clarks. The 39 were too small, so I tried 40. They were perfect. So for the next three pairs I ordered I got 40. The fit is good. I ordered this one in 40 too, so I'm hoping that will continue to be my "Alegria size"! Smiley Happy

***ETA: Check the sizing chart for "Fiona," A273109!

Honored Contributor

@mpobs wrote:

@winamac1 So you think I should size up to 38 versus ordering the 37 which the chart says? Thanks for helping!

Yes-in this style of shoe.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"