Esteemed Contributor

Re: Air Innovations Humidifier

I won’t buy any more Air Innovation products, after buying the tsv fan this year.  Also the price should be around $29.

Honored Contributor

One thing I've noticed with these kinds of cool-mist humidifiers is that they make the floor feel cold, especially when you're sitting near it. Also if you have hard water then you get white dust on everything in the room. I have to buy the special hard-water filters so this doesn't happen. Those work fairly well but you have to change them often.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee, that's why I use distilled water in mine.  YMMV, but for the way I use mine, it's cheaper than buying the hard water filters.  I do the same thing for my Aerogarden when I have it up and running.

I also have a ZeroWater pitcher I use for the kitty fountain.  It's soooo much easier to clean without all that white hard water buildup on it.  The cats drink better water than I do. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not buying it's too big plus they only last 1 season.

I bought one used it took it out next season to use & it would not work.

I prefer a smaller one that I can handle. I always rinsed mine out every 3-4 days when I had to put more water in it.

This big one they say just add water from the top. I think it needs to be rinsed out so it does not get slimy.

I used water from our reverse osmosis system. We never had any white dust. It did make the carpet in the bedroom wet. They said it does not do that but it does. I had to throw towels on the floor at night to keep the carpet dry.

Trusted Contributor

I ordered as soon as it was presented. We have an older air innovations unit I purchased here years ago and had no trouble. We have been running it more lately due to my little furbaby having some breathing issues. We had just talked about how nice it would be to have a top fill. This came on and I was in.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SilleeMee, that's why I use distilled water in mine.  YMMV, but for the way I use mine, it's cheaper than buying the hard water filters.  I do the same thing for my Aerogarden when I have it up and running.

I also have a ZeroWater pitcher I use for the kitty fountain.  It's soooo much easier to clean without all that white hard water buildup on it.  The cats drink better water than I do. 

@Icegoddess what does YYMV mean? I asked this before but I forgot what I was told. TIA

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DJs mom wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess what does YYMV mean? I asked this before but I forgot what I was told. TIA

@DJs mom, YMMV = Your mileage may vary.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess ah thank you. For some reason I keep forgetting this.

Honored Contributor

I did not buy this one but I can attest to the fact that a good size humidifier isn't cheap even from Walmart or Target.  You have to compare apples to apples.  Humidifiers come in varying sizes depending on the size of the room you want to use it in.  I have one I keep on my bedside table.  It is a 1.3 gallon capacity, has the anit-microbial tank, it's ultrasonic and I paid $43.99 for it from Walgreens.  It's their brand.

DH and I have 1 in our family room and 1 in our living room. They are Vornado units.  I believe we paid $100.00 for them and they are a PITA.  They have those charcoal filters that have to be changed and now they are getting harder and harder to find and more and more expensive.  You also have to remove the tanks to fill them and they are awkward and heavy.  They are very sensitive about sitting just perfectly or they don't run. 

You have to watch because a lot of the ones in the stores have those wick filters which are horrible and many are warm mist or the ultrasonic ones leave a white film on everything.  We heat our house in the winter with a woodburning stove so we rely on these humidifiers and we've purchased plenty that lasted one year and never worked again.